[SOLVED] Home Networking Help

supermut555

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

Total amateur here, I'm currently working to set up my home network and am a bit confused about the order of operations on what to do.

I am able to get internet to the office computer, but cannot seem to get internet to the wireless router, therefore I do not have WiFi connection to the internet. Should I be connecting the unmanaged switch to the router directly or is there a setting on the Asus configuration software that I am not doing correctly?

Hardware:
Unknown Patch Panel with 5 Runs
Asus AC3200 Wireless Router
TP Link TL-SG108 Unamanged Switch
Unknown Mfg Docsis 3.1 eMTA Cable Modem Model ET 2251

Pic of the current network setup

https://ibb.co/vqvsYqc

Solution
Hello,

Total amateur here, I'm currently working to set up my home network and am a bit confused about the order of operations on what to do.

I am able to get internet to the office computer, but cannot seem to get internet to the wireless router, therefore I do not have WiFi connection to the internet. Should I be connecting the unmanaged switch to the router directly or is there a setting on the Asus configuration software that I am not doing correctly?

Hardware:

The order of things has to be: internet -> modem...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

Hardware:

The order of things has to be: internet -> modem (optional, depends on ISP) -> router (WAN) <:> router (LAN) => switches/devices.
In your case it would be: eMTA -> Asus AC3200 -> unmanaged switch -> devices/patch panel

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

supermut555

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2014
Hi Kane,

Thanks for replying. I got it all to work, one last question. I'm trying to run multiple devices through one ethernet port and have a TP Link SG108 Unmanaged Switch to do this. Did I purchase the right device? Ive attempted to run connections through the switch and I'm having issues connecting to the internet again. Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Hi Kane,

Thanks for replying. I got it all to work, one last question. I'm trying to run multiple devices through one ethernet port and have a TP Link SG108 Unmanaged Switch to do this. Did I purchase the right device? Ive attempted to run connections through the switch and I'm having issues connecting to the internet again. Thanks
Your Asus has four LAN ports. If you have one ethernet from the asus to the TP Link you should be good. If you are using the "Unknown patch panel with 5 runs" That could be the problem.
Upload and image of this to imgur.com (or other image hosting site) and post a link to the picture.

From your pic: The correct order is:

Cable Modem-->Patch Panel-->WirelessRouter-->Unmanaged Switch-->Remaining ports of the Patch panel.

The patch panel port with the cable modem will attach to the WAN port of the wifi router.

Connect any port of the Unmanaged switch to any of the LAN ports of the wifi router.

If you want wifi in a particular room, you'll need to buy an additional wifi access point since the wifi router will likely need to reside where the patch panel is. Unless you happen to have 2 ethernet ports in that particular room.