[SOLVED] Home networking problems

Mar 23, 2019
I have this in home network. The picture is shown. I am trying to SSH into the server from my PC and for some reason it wont connect. I have tried bit vise and I have dual boot so I tried Linux SSH. It worked when it was plugged into the router but since I ran out of ports I had to get the switch. I cant seam to find anything on the internet so maybe someone on here can help. The server runs the latest version of Ubuntu and has SSH enabled like I said I could do it when it was on the router.
MWT5ay.png

Solution
It should be completely transparent to your machines so it has to be OS related. Internal to the router the lan ports are a small switch. Even if you wanted to you can not filter traffic with these small switches. They are really stupid devices and only understand mac addresses. They have no concept of any applicaiton like SSH and do not even understand IP addresses. The purely send data to another mac address.

If you can ping between the machines then the problem is not a network issue when you only have a switch. If they can't ping but both can use the internet you likely have firewall rules in one of the end devices.
It should be completely transparent to your machines so it has to be OS related. Internal to the router the lan ports are a small switch. Even if you wanted to you can not filter traffic with these small switches. They are really stupid devices and only understand mac addresses. They have no concept of any applicaiton like SSH and do not even understand IP addresses. The purely send data to another mac address.

If you can ping between the machines then the problem is not a network issue when you only have a switch. If they can't ping but both can use the internet you likely have firewall rules in one of the end devices.

Solution