Home networking using bt fibre

Oct 24, 2018
Ive just moved into a new house that is ftth by BT, problem is, the connection is in a cupboard in the basement, which means my router has to go there and i must rely on wifi and home plugs to supply my tv's, pc's, phones etc.
This alone is a bit of a nightmare because my bt set top box really needs a good network connection for 4k to work on it. At the moment its connected via plugs but my download speed is only 32mbps, whereas at my router its 98mbps!

Wifi signals seem to be ok from the bt smart hub (hh6), but i need to get a much better connection to my pc which is located on the 2nd floor of my house. At the moment im using a netgear wifi booster with network point to my pc and only getting 9mbps download speed.

Today i managed to get my hands on a couple of hp1810 switches (model j9803a), and ive also got 2 spare bt home hub 5's from my previous home.

Is there any way with this equipment that i can improve my speeds to set top box and pc?

Currently my router is in the basement with one port feeding home plugs that go to my set top box, and netgear booster feeding my pc

Solution
MOCA would be a great solution if you have coaxial cable in the house that you are not using. I also didn't mention the possibility of turning phone lines into Ethernet assuming that you no longer use your landlines and they are cat 5 cable ... I guess I didn't mention it because it is a kind of a reach.
The fastest, most reliable way to move data is Ethernet. That means running cable from your basement to other locations. It means drilling holes through floors or up through walls or even to an outside wall with cable strung along the outside of the building.

The alternative is a hybrid system that uses some Ethernet and WiFi or Powerline to bridge gaps between floors/rooms. Finding the optimal setup is changeling and might require some experimentation. The key is to limit the distance of the gaps and the potential interference.

The HP switches are nice, but overkill for your home. You might be able to sell or trade them for someone to run Ethernet in the house. Be aware that people running cable sometimes take shortcuts that are less than aesthetic.

Now that you have sports car, need to find a road to drive it.

^Like he says, ethernet cables between floors is best. Next options are Powerline (through electrical sockets) and MOCA (through existing TV coax) solutions. The last 2, buy from somewhere you can return easy if unhappy.

MOCA would be a great solution if you have coaxial cable in the house that you are not using. I also didn't mention the possibility of turning phone lines into Ethernet assuming that you no longer use your landlines and they are cat 5 cable ... I guess I didn't mention it because it is a kind of a reach.

Solution
Oct 24, 2018
Thanks for the replies folks.
Running cables isnt an option im afraid, due to laminate and tiled floors, so i need to get on with what i have.
The powerline adaptors arent proving to be very effective, they get the job done but i think because of the distances im losing a lot in speed.

Anotherdrew, i was thinking about that today, i dont use a landline so i could in effect use the existing cabling to convert to rj45 sockets, i might give that a try

Telephone wiring can be run in 2 different methods. One where all the wires go back to a central location (called a star pattern). If this is the case and it happens to be in your basement and it is a good quality cable, then it would be an excellent option. If instead the phone lines are run from jack to jack (daisy-chain ... if you open a jack and find 2 wires, then this is the case) then it would be much more difficult to get it working like you want.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
As long as there are 4 pairs for the lines you are currently using for phone you should be okay, although it might not give you past 100 mbps if they are not cat5e.

I've seen cat3 do 90mbps.

Oct 24, 2018
Its an unused phone point im using because fibre has been installed. It looks like they made the provision for a normal phone line when the house got built. Its wired in 6 core so unfortunately ive had to sacrifice 100mbps, but its setup and working now.
Ive fitted the switch at my tv to provide my set top box, tv and laptop.
Thinking i might be better off using a wifi dongle for my pc as my wifi speed is more than double im getting through my powerline adapter