[SOLVED] Home Networking wiring problems

FPS Scotland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
So I'm setting up a home network. The basic setup is Router - PoE Injector - ethernet cable up to a wall socket, and then ethernet cable wired from the socket into network switch, delivering data and PoE power over the single cable.

However, I cannot seem to get the wall socket cables to work. I've tried rewiring the cable at both ends, using different cables, using different wall sockets, and I'm met with failure every single time. They deliver power but not data. I'm using a Ubiquiti USW Flex Mini. It has lights to show both power and data status. The power light comes on when I plug in but the data light doesn't with these cables. I've isolated the problem to this part of the chain in particular. The network is running to 4 places and it's happening in every single one of them. The cables being used are from a large spool and all the other cables from the spool work flawlessly.

I'm at my wit's end as I don't know what to change or test any more. I think I've covered all bases.

Last edited:
Solution
Never mind, turns out the idiot I trusted to wire the cables managed to wire every other cable correct but wire these ones backwards.

Needless to say I've made sure he'll be suitably dismembered and hidden.

Thanks anyway.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"The network is running to 4 places and it's happening in every single one of them. The cables being used are from a large spool and all the other cables from the spool work flawlessly. "

Can you provide a simple sketch of your network layout to show what cables are working and which cables are not?

Post the sketch using imgur.

FPS Scotland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
Never mind, turns out the idiot I trusted to wire the cables managed to wire every other cable correct but wire these ones backwards.

Needless to say I've made sure he'll be suitably dismembered and hidden.

Thanks anyway.

Solution