[SOLVED] Home Networking with Fios

Aug 14, 2019
Hey guys I’ve been planning to construct my home network, I have around 4 cat5e cable runs throughout my house when it was built in 05. They haven’t been terminated and are just sitting in my basement (lucky me). The only problem is the Moca crap with fios and their cable. I don’t have DVR so I don’t really care if I lose some of the features but I do want guide working. I have a 3400 sqft house w a 50/50 plan w fios. I was thinking of getting my own router and switching the ONT to Ethernet instead of moca. The problem I have is i can’t find the open Ethernet port. View: https://imgur.com/gallery/wp3WQ5N

If I figure that out my home network would go as followed cables > patch panel > router (normal all in one and use as switch for ports since I only have 4 runs) > 5port switch in my room for pc and ps4 since I only have a one gang cat 5e keystone. Rest of rooms only need one

If there’s anything wrong w my theoretical home network please lmk and I do need a recommendation for a good router for basement. And should I use old aciontec mI4WR router as an access point for upstairs and ig can keep the tv stuff running because of the coax attached to it

Solution
If you want the guide to work, I believe you will HAVE to use their router, because the guide is delivered via the router. Just disable the WIFI on their router, and add WIFI access points and/or switches using your in-wall cabling.
Aug 14, 2019
If you want the guide to work, I believe you will HAVE to use their router, because the guide is delivered via the router. Just disable the WIFI on their router, and add WIFI access points and/or switches using your in-wall cabling.
Okay so I can go ahead and buy my own router to hook up in the basement and turn off the WiFi (dhcp function) . Now can I possibly use that Verizon router as an access point for 2nd floor or would I need to buy another dedicated one. I have an extra g110 quantum gateway router not being used aswell from my aunt. Thinking of putting that one on 1st floor. If this were to happen it wouldn’t be mesh? If that’s possible please lmk. Sorry I’m pretty new to networking just want everything in my home to be wired and still have good WiFi performance for phones etc. thank you

Jan 9, 2019
The cheapest route is just to get Wifi Access Points. No need to have a router unless you have old ones laying around with Wifi that you can disable everything and run it in AP mode.

Aug 14, 2019
The cheapest route is just to get Wifi Access Points. No need to have a router unless you have old ones laying around with Wifi that you can disable everything and run it in AP mode.

Okay so I have a old router laying around not being used I’m thinking of using that and then buying another access point. Any recommendations on access points in the budget range (18yo going into college)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk