[SOLVED] Home networking

Jul 3, 2020
Thanks for the information. Here is my situation. The main access point for the internet and tv service in the attic of the apartment. To make things even more difficult, the wiring that is done is only for coax cable and not for ethernet. So when Fios came for the setup, they had to put the router up in the attic, TV no problem, they connected that with a splitter for the coax cable. Internet however, a different story. The WIFI signal coming through many layers of the wall was terrible. So Verizon put an extender on the main floor. My desktop and printer is connected to the extender ethernet port taking up the 2 ethernet spots. Now, I need a ethernet port to connect my WD cloud, for which I am thinking to using a ethernet switch. As far as I know, that should work, connect the switch to the extender and connect the desktop, printer and WD cloud to the ethernet switch.

The above solution was provided in the earlier thread regarding the ethernet switch.

Now coming to the WIFI connection for the laptops, phones and other devices. Because there is two signals, one from the main router in the attic ( which is intermittent) and the other from the extender, there is a little issue in certain parts of the apartment. So to solve the signal issue, I am thinking of getting WIFI extender. So the main question is:

How do solve the issue of WIFI extender selecting only the signal coming from then extender in the main hall?
This would be my first choice.

Another idea that came to my mind is that, since there is coax cable in all the rooms, connect one of them to the splitter in the attic and have a coax cable to ethernet converter and connect the WIFI extender. Now this means, me spending more money and more complex.

Open to any other suggestion, besides rewiring, which is not an option.

Thanks in advance to all the help.

Solution
Until I got to the end I was wondering what verizon installed as a extender. It appears it is a normal wifi repeater ? Most their routers support Moca. This is the technology used to run ethernet over coax tv. You normally need a box near the router and a second at the remote room. With many verizon devices you only need the one in the remote room. They sell their brand of moca things but any moca2.0 should work. I would try to check out the specs on your router and call and ask them if you can't figure it out.

If you get nowhere going that method you should be able to put in your own units. One in the attic by the router and one or more units in the rooms in your place. There were some very popular moca 2.5 units...
Until I got to the end I was wondering what verizon installed as a extender. It appears it is a normal wifi repeater ? Most their routers support Moca. This is the technology used to run ethernet over coax tv. You normally need a box near the router and a second at the remote room. With many verizon devices you only need the one in the remote room. They sell their brand of moca things but any moca2.0 should work. I would try to check out the specs on your router and call and ask them if you can't figure it out.

If you get nowhere going that method you should be able to put in your own units. One in the attic by the router and one or more units in the rooms in your place. There were some very popular moca 2.5 units that were faster and cheaper than all others made by gocoax. You can easily get gigabit speeds on those units. They have been out of stock for many months with no indication of whats going on. Actiontec units will work fine they are just a little costly.

Solution