Home networking

HN001

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Hi There,

I am planning to have 4 pcs, 3 upstairs (2 in the sameroom), 1 downstairs. And those are will share all of the printers, scan,etc. What would be the better choice for home networking? How do I start it? I have no clue about this what so ever. What do I need to get?
Thanks a lot for all your help.

HN

HN001

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Hi,

I'm planning to get dsl. I really am not wanted to wire the walls, so the wireless definitely is my best choice. $300 or less if i could.
Thanks for your input.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HN001 on 02/17/03 10:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

With a $300 budget I would try this.

1 Linksys BEFW11S4 a 4 port switch,,router and Wireless access point.
2 Linksys WUSB11 wireless network adaptors.
2 Linksys LNE100TX PCI ethernet cards.(If needed see below)
3 CAT5 ethernet cables. ( length to be determined by placement of router.)

Place your modem and router/access point in the room with 2 computers.
Install PCI ethernet adaptors in these two computers.( If they do not already have ethernet port or card).
Connect these two computers using CAT5 cables to ports 1&2 of the router.
Install the USB adaptors on the other 2 computers.
The reason I suggest USB is so that you can move the adaptor and antenna arround for better reception.It also has a signal meeter to help find the best place for placement and reception.

I have all of the parts listed above and a pair of WAP11 Access points and have good use out of them. No complaints.
This is probably a little over your budget But is the simplest,easyest,cheapest route to take.

I aint signing nothing!!!

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
D-Link 802.11b+ kits. The linksys ap/router combos aren't bad. the linksys client devices routinely score near the bottom on most product reviews. I'd avoid them. The Dlink plus devices use PBCC modulation to eek out some added bandwidth, which will come in handy when you want to transfer files, especially large ones, and they have pretty good range as well.

HN001

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Hello Rick Criswell,

I decided to get The Dlink because it costs less than Linksy.
I have couple of questions, please!
Does the USB adaptor slower than reg adaptor, considering?
Are there specific ones that I should buy or can I just use any CAT5 ethernet cables that less expensive? the reason I am asking because Dlink cables cost $100/each. Therefore, the wired is ending up cost more than wireless, which opposited from what I thought.
Thanks a lot for your time.

HN001

HN001

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Hello Kwebb68,

Here is the list:
---1 Dlink DI-714P+ wireless router with printer server
---2 DWI-520+ wireless adaptors
---2 DFE-530TX+ wired adaptors
---2 CAT5 e cables

How do you think above components? Any suggestion? By the way, do you know those support Win2k pro and XP? (Dlink have not stated that)
Many thankss for your help

HN001

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
Should suit well. I can't speak specifically if those client cards have 2000 and/or XP drivers but you would assume they do. Those are the most current OS's from MS at the moment. Check D-Links site but I would say the chances there is XP/2000 driver support is virutally assured.

V_LESTAT

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
when looking at USB or CAT5 there is no option, do NOT use USB for networking, get yourself network cards and some CAT5 cable, and no dont buy the dlink cat5 its not necessary, any cat5 will do, and for people like me, i make my own, 100ft of cat 5 can usually be purchased at alot of hardware stores. along with the crimper and the ends. 100ft when i got mine was less then 10 USD. the ends were a few bucks. but the crimper,, lol that was 20 USD. but if you dont want to make your own, your probably going to end up spending more than that for brandname cable. another option is to go to an electrical store or warehouse, and they should be able to sell you the cable and put ends on it for cheaper than any place else.

If it aint broke don't fix it