Home Office PC - Build It or Buy It???

Kilgore Trout

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hi -

I want to build a home office PC for my girlfriend. She does not game and does not need it for anything other than Internet, viewing pictures, and email.

Looking to spend ~$400 on the hardware - she is going to buy the OS and Microsoft Office.

I've poked around the forums and the build below looks sufficient (it's from a 2012 post, but prices are still fairly accurate.)

However, I read another thread where a guy was saying with the less expensive PCs, it's usually cheaper to buy them. In researching, I found some PCs with similar specs that already had Windows 7 for around $400.

I haven't bought a PC from a store in twenty years - I've either bought them from builders or have built them myself but they've always been for gaming, and I've always liked home builds over store-bought builds in that respect. But if we could save $200 - $300 and have essentially the same system, well, that would win me over.

What do you guys think? Build or Buy? If it's Build, what do you think about the Build above? Suggestions for something better and/or more cost effective?

If it's Buy, any suggestions? I'm not familiar enough with the vendors anymore to know who is best in terms of quality and reliability.

Thanks in advance for the input!

KT

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M LX PLUS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)

Solution

No, I will veto both of those - the cases and power supplies are complete utter garbage, and I would avoid Biostar motherboards.

Second hand? It doesn't take much to run a system just for business / MS Office apps. I would not recommend buying second hand anything. Maybe a keyboard, mouse or other peripherals, but I would never recommend buying any internal component second hand.

I would do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:...

USAFRet

Titan
At that price point, it is kind of a toss up. One of the better things in your selfbuild is probably the PSU. Inexpensive retail boxes around that price are usually deficient in the PSU area.
But then again, you get the Windows license included.

g-unit1111

Titan

No, I will veto both of those - the cases and power supplies are complete utter garbage, and I would avoid Biostar motherboards.

Second hand? It doesn't take much to run a system just for business / MS Office apps. I would not recommend buying second hand anything. Maybe a keyboard, mouse or other peripherals, but I would never recommend buying any internal component second hand.

CPU: AMD A10-5700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($122.68 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-ITX R2.0 Mini ITX FM2 Motherboard ($91.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $449.60
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-27 20:00 EDT-0400)

Solution

Kilgore Trout

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

CPU: AMD A10-5700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($122.68 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-ITX R2.0 Mini ITX FM2 Motherboard ($91.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $449.60
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-27 20:00 EDT-0400)

I realize this is almost six years too late but I wanted to thank you for the detailed reply. Never built or bought! But still have the gf and she's been using my gaming rig since we moved in together. Thank you again and I am sorry for being lame in not thanking you sooner.

KT

Reactions: g-unit1111