Home Rig Problem...

moroniccow

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
Hey guys,

I just got in the parts for my new rig, this is my first build and so far ive had alot of problems with it, and now i have another one.

So starting off here is what i got in my new computer

Evga nforce 780i sli motherboard
Core 2 Quad Q9450
8 gigs of Corsair Ram
512 Evga 9800 GTX
500 GB WD Drives x2

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

After coquering the heatsink for the cpu, i got everything up and running cool. Then after some downloading of games i decided to try and hop in vent. In doing so, I also started to plug in my head set on the front audio ports that my case has. Right when i pressed the microphone all the way in, my rig shut down completely and upon pressing the power button nothing came back up. All i see is my mobo light on, and my power supply light on, nothing else. I tried checking my power button connections to the board, and replugging back in, and to no avail.... what could be wrong now? I really hope its nothing serious. I dont understand why it would just randomly shut down when i plugged my headset in the front ports and not come back... Like i said, temps were perfect. 30C and below.

Any ideas? Im getting very frustrated at this point.

Thanks,

So heres

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

Check the connections to your headphone sockets
They are connected to the wrong adaptor on your mobo
Hope nothing is shortened, and mobo is not booting to prevent any damage
Try to install any sound card and connect headphone to it and see
I'm quit sure everything will be OK

moroniccow

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
i really hope i didnt take out my motherboard... that would be just great... but wouldnt it beep or tell me that its gone? It lights up, but doesnt start up when i press the power button.

Motherboard deaths are always different. alot of the times they just sit there silently or the fans spin up and nothing else. It can beep if there is a simple error, but if it's busted then it really can't.

moroniccow

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
well. good news. i removed it from the case and powered it on with minimal stuff and it worked! so i think my case is the issue. Do you guys have any suggestions on cases for alot of room to fit a 850 W power supply?

Thanks for all your help!