[SOLVED] Home Router Setup Recommendations

clutchtime123

Honorable
Dec 4, 2014
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of upgrading my home wifi setup. The current setup i have is starting to choke on the number of devices connected. Let me be brief:
Current Setup:
  1. TP-Link AX10 Wifi 6 AX1500 MAIN Router (All 4 ports populated with additional AP's)
  2. TP LINK A9 AC1900 configured as an AP connected via LAN to main router
  3. TP LINK RE305 Extender connected wirelessly to the AC1900

The main issue i am having is the RE305 being absolute rubbish for surfing/streaming, etc. I tried the TP LINK Deco M9 Plus Mesh router system too but it had mediocore performance whilst still being in line of sight of the AP.
OR
The AX10 seems to have lackluster performance in my testing, bought it only because my main router blew. The router frequently doesnt load my web pages and has to be restarted, even after setting up a daily auto reboot function. In short, i might have too many devices but the router just cannot handle 4 populated LAN ports even without wireless on.

My Questions:
1. Can anyone recommend 2 routers/mesh, etc. that will connect flawlessly wirelessly? I.e. one will have a LAN cable to connect to the MAIN router but the second has to be wireless, connected to the first. Nothing too expensive, waiting for wifi 6e hardware then upgrading the whole network.

2. A suitable recommendation for the MAIN Router in the interim with atleast 5-8 gigabit LAN ports on the router. Router has to be able to accept a PPoE internet line in. Again 150-200$ is fine.

Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations guys :)

Solution
It is surprising you are having issues with LAN connected devices. Even very inexpensive routers tend to run out of internet bandwidth before they can't support more devices. This is mostly a memory thing and routers actually have too much memory.

I would not pay extra for more lan ports. Just use a 8 port switch and connect it to the main router. The 4 lan ports in a router are just a switch, used to be the same chip used in 5 port switches in many routers.

Mesh is just a new marketing term for repeater in most cases. They all suffer from the problem of the second radio signal being sent interfering with the primary one. They also cut the bandwidth in 1/2.

Unless you have no other options I would not use any form of...
It is surprising you are having issues with LAN connected devices. Even very inexpensive routers tend to run out of internet bandwidth before they can't support more devices. This is mostly a memory thing and routers actually have too much memory.

I would not pay extra for more lan ports. Just use a 8 port switch and connect it to the main router. The 4 lan ports in a router are just a switch, used to be the same chip used in 5 port switches in many routers.

Mesh is just a new marketing term for repeater in most cases. They all suffer from the problem of the second radio signal being sent interfering with the primary one. They also cut the bandwidth in 1/2.

Unless you have no other options I would not use any form of repeater. If you have tv coax look at using MoCA. Otherwise consider powerlne networks. Both these technology you would then use a AP at the remote end to provide wifi.

Can't say much about wifi6 stuff since it is still kinda new. Tplink in general makes good equipment for a good price. Maybe there is a firmware update for your main router.

Like you I am waiting on wifi6e.

You should be able to use any inexpensive router as your main router and then improve the wifi with your current equipment running as AP. If you want a wired router you can get a ubiquiti edge router for about $50 for 4 ports and about $100 for 10. The edge router is actually a very powerful device that has many feature you may not need.

Solution

clutchtime123

Honorable
Dec 4, 2014

Unless you have no other options I would not use any form of repeater. If you have tv coax look at using MoCA. Otherwise consider powerlne networks. Both these technology you would then use a AP at the remote end to provide wifi.

Can't say much about wifi6 stuff since it is still kinda new. Tplink in general makes good equipment for a good price. Maybe there is a firmware update for your main router.

Like you I am waiting on wifi6e.

You should be able to use any inexpensive router as your main router and then improve the wifi with your current equipment running as AP. If you want a wired router you can get a ubiquiti edge router for about $50 for 4 ports and about $100 for 10. The edge router is actually a very powerful device that has many feature you may not need.

Im waiting on the new Asus 6e router that has been announced but will wait a few months till all the kinks have been straightened out.

Going with the WDS of another TP Link router to extend the signal of the current AC1900 hopefully this might work. Cant use powerline because of the multiple breaker setup we have and the wiring changes that will have to be made. MOCA again requires a wire that i dont have spare.

I checked the Updates tab on the TP-Link router but its running the latest software so i cant do much. Will opt for a load balancing/managed switch if i can otherwise ill just go with a regular switch.

Thanks for your input mate cheers!

Unless you live in a country that has 3 phase power the breaker information is old. The newer av2 based unit use the ground wire as well as the power carrying wires. The only "new" issue is one brand that I forget of the new arc fault breakers block the signals.