[SOLVED] Home Server Build RAM/CPU Recommendation

Ice blue

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/XvMsJb

I'm able to get the cooler, motherboard and case for $200AUD from a friend. With this opportunity I'm deciding to build a home server which is something I've been meaning to do for a while. I don't have a budget but I'd like the performance to be optimised for the price (in AUD if possible please). I'm planning to use the server as a personal cloud and potentially as a web server or game server.

Just to clarify, I am limiting myself to that motherboard/case/cooler as the parts would normally be around $900 from local stores. As I said I know the guy so I can check them and he told me that all he knows of is a USB slot not working on the case.

Thx

Solution
I wouldn't recommend going with a single drive when it comes to a home server. I'd get at least 3 or 4 and run them with parity fail-safe. You should also get an external SAS RAID card so you can manage them more effectively than using windows storage manager. Everything else looks pretty fine for what you need. What OS did you plan on installing? I repurposed an old computer so I have windows 10 for network drives and linux VM for my webservers.
I wouldn't recommend going with a single drive when it comes to a home server. I'd get at least 3 or 4 and run them with parity fail-safe. You should also get an external SAS RAID card so you can manage them more effectively than using windows storage manager. Everything else looks pretty fine for what you need. What OS did you plan on installing? I repurposed an old computer so I have windows 10 for network drives and linux VM for my webservers.

Solution