[SOLVED] Home server build ?

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm thinking of building a home server by using my old PC, (I got a new one). Could someone list all the components for a home server/PC.

If I modernise my old PC's components and add a big hard drive for storage and then link the two PCs... that's the same as a server?

Solution
The switch = ethernet switch. An peice of networkging gear a bit better then a router.
110MB/s = its roughly the max speed of a gigabit connection. A Byte (big B) is 8 bits (little b) so 1000Mb / 8 = 125MB/s which is the theoretical max.

Drives. I say start with one drive until you decide which server application you want to go with; some have preferred drive setups. External backups are always recommended but you must disconnect them and not leave them susceptible to power surges or virus attacks.

What hardware do you already have?

popatim

Titan
Yes, you want the server to be able to do the work you want it to do so we need to know what it is you want out of your server.
In my case it just sends and receives file so minimal CPU and Ram is needed but network throughput and Harddrive size rule!

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Yes, you want the server to be able to do the work you want it to do so we need to know what it is you want out of your server.
In my case it just sends and receives file so minimal CPU and Ram is needed but network throughput and Harddrive size rule!
I will want it for storage of my projects. Large files, Excel Sheets, Raw Images, 3D models, high definition videos. Mostly storage but I would use it for TV and internet as well. I would then use the new big computer for the grunt work of rendering and processing videos, photos, gaming, maybe streaming, etc...

I would want everything "Backed up". Two copies of everything for safety.

Anyway, I would want the PC's linked with cables and not wireless, if possible.

Last edited:
Your data on the hypothetical server would only be as safe as is the newly added 'big hard drive' in the repurposed old PC.

Your only real costs (excluding the hard drive) would be the switch and a few runs of RJ45 cable appropriate for (presumably) 1 GbE Ethernet, limited to about 110 MB/sec transfer speeds.

An alternative is to simply add a pair of drives into the new PC, merged into Windows Storage Space mirror. (Just because you are gaming or rendering does not prevent anyone else from accessing files if the share is done properly.) You can/should still back up needed important data to an inexpensive external USB drive and/or a few cloud locations occasionally, as having even a mirrored pair of drives will guard against a failure of a single drive, it does not protect you from ransomware, etc...

*Of course, if you just want a server, and the experience of tinkering within the numerous server/NAS OS's available...have fun! There are many!

Last edited:

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I will want it for storage of my projects. Large files, Excel Sheets, Raw Images, 3D models, high definition videos. Mostly storage but I would use it for TV and internet as well. I would then use the new big computer for the grunt work of rendering and processing videos, photos, gaming, maybe streaming, etc...

Anyway, I would want the PC's linked with cables and not wireless, if possible.
You want your server to record and stream tv & movies or just host the files?
Perhaps both... but for now just host/sore files. It would be good it both can still act as a computer.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Your data on the hypothetical server would only be as safe as is the newly added 'big hard drive' in the repurposed old PC.

Your only real costs (excluding the hard drive) would be the switch and a few runs of RJ45 cable appropriate for (presumably) 1 GbE Ethernet, limited to about 110 MB/sec transfer speeds.

"the switch" what is this and what is it used for.

Also why limit the transfer speed?

An alternative is to simply add a pair of drives into the new PC, merged into Windows Storage Space mirror. (Just because you are gaming or rendering does not prevent anyone else from accessing files if the share is done properly.) You can/should still back up needed important data to an inexpensive external USB drive and/or a few cloud locations occasionally, as having even a mirrored pair of drives will guard against a failure of a single drive, it does not protect you from ransomware, etc...

Basically, put many drives into one PC?... Rather than having two PC's linked?

*Of course, if you just want a server, and the experience of tinkering within the numerous server/NAS OS's available...have fun! There are many!

Last edited by a moderator:

popatim

Titan
The switch = ethernet switch. An peice of networkging gear a bit better then a router.
110MB/s = its roughly the max speed of a gigabit connection. A Byte (big B) is 8 bits (little b) so 1000Mb / 8 = 125MB/s which is the theoretical max.

Drives. I say start with one drive until you decide which server application you want to go with; some have preferred drive setups. External backups are always recommended but you must disconnect them and not leave them susceptible to power surges or virus attacks.

What hardware do you already have?

Solution