[SOLVED] Home Server Storage

cduleck1

Reputable
Sep 18, 2016
So this question seems beat to death but I can't seem to find an answer specific to me. I'm putting together a computer/server for the house. This server will house a plex server, a minecraft server, and an ark server so it will be always on in the corner of my living room. so my question is the same that you guys have heard a million times. Blue for on the cheap, Black for the little extra but more power consumption, or red for the always on factor?

Solution
I don't already have the parts. But I know an ark server will need 2 cores at around 3ghz just for that to run. not sure if an actual nas will be able to handle that at the same time as the minecraft server running and transcoding plex movies.
OK..in that case, maybe not.

I would go with the Reds.

USAFRet

Titan
So this question seems beat to death but I can't seem to find an answer specific to me. I'm putting together a computer/server for the house. This server will house a plex server, a minecraft server, and an ark server so it will be always on in the corner of my living room. so my question is the same that you guys have heard a million times. Blue for on the cheap, Black for the little extra but more power consumption, or red for the always on factor?
Do you already have all the other components?
If not, a real NAS would be better. QNAP or Synology.
Fill it with whatever drives.

One of the considerations in this is noise.
My QNAP is silent. And very very low pemp and pwoer consumption.

To your question - performance in spinning drives in a home server thing doesn't really matter. They are all faster than the LAN interface you are connecting to them with.
Blue/Black/Red...

cduleck1

Reputable
Sep 18, 2016
Do you already have all the other components?
If not, a real NAS would be better. QNAP or Synology.
Fill it with whatever drives.

One of the considerations in this is noise.
My QNAP is silent. And very very low pemp and pwoer consumption.

To your question - performance in spinning drives in a home server thing doesn't really matter. They are all faster than the LAN interface you are connecting to them with.
Blue/Black/Red...
I don't already have the parts. But I know an ark server will need 2 cores at around 3ghz just for that to run. not sure if an actual nas will be able to handle that at the same time as the minecraft server running and transcoding plex movies.