Home storage server

papastratos

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
i need some advice for home server , i got the norco 4020 case and the asus server kcma-d8 motherbord , i want to know if i need some raid controler cards to control 20 HDD? and what kind of ddr3 memory and Power supply I need for this?

Solution

Why enterprise class controller for a home server?

Here are low cost, low power, easy to built.

1) FreeNAS solution feature:
- Each SATA port can be 15TB volume with 3TB hdd.
- Low cost, headless
- Stream media, network back up.
Look at here url=http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265641-32-40tb-server-performance-issue]40TB Home Server base on FreeNAS[/url]

2) WHS and SnapRAID solution feature
Drive extend - Volume can grow as need it, no hdd size discrimination, data is protected.
Low cost with port multiplier solution...

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
If you're looking to utilize 20 drives, I would consider an external RAID enclosure and an enterprise class controller card. Whatis the use of the storage? Is performance important? What is your budget?

papastratos

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
thank you for your responce ,..i want to build this storage pc for my home videos and audio files,..I have already over 10 hard drives full with movies , pictures , and audio files on external enclousers , now i want to move all that hard drives in this norco 4220 case for easy acces .
I don't need any hi performance ...just for my personal use at home. I apriciate any advice for my build .//

papastratos

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Yes, you are right , for now i don't need more than 10 HDD , but i have already my norco 4220 where I can fit 20 hard drives for storage and 2 for the system and a CD drive , but from now i do have 12 hard drives , 10 for storage and 2 for the system, but in the future i will need more storage and i think will be all 20 bays full with hard drives.i was think to start with two raid 5 and in the future to add more hard drives to each arrays or build another one or two arrays of RAID 5.

FireWire2

Distinguished

Why enterprise class controller for a home server?

Here are low cost, low power, easy to built.

1) FreeNAS solution feature:
- Each SATA port can be 15TB volume with 3TB hdd.
- Low cost, headless
- Stream media, network back up.
Look at here url=http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265641-32-40tb-server-performance-issue]40TB Home Server base on FreeNAS[/url]

2) WHS and SnapRAID solution feature
Drive extend - Volume can grow as need it, no hdd size discrimination, data is protected.
Low cost with port multiplier solution

Both solution can be use with Green drive (5400rpm) to save money and electricity.

If you are interest of how to let me know, i will post the way that I build

Edit: headless means NO K/M and monitor just the box

Solution

TRENDING THREADS