home storage solution???

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hello, over the years I have got a lot of HDDs, a big one, a small one, a portable(2.5) 1T Western digital, and a portable(2.5) 2T Seagate , and a desktop external(3.5) 3T storage, and some internal HDD of various sizes. Space, physical storage, is probably a problem because I am living in small rented flat.

I want to have better management or standardize everything... what would you advise? Stick to all nice portable(2.5) 2T HDD, so spacial size would not be a problem? stick to all internal(3.5) 4T HDDs, use a generic HDD enclosure and keep the unused HDDs in box? or use those kind of HDDs arrays to hold a lot of HDDs at the same time?? (It looks like an expensive solution)

what do you think??

Hi there brannsiu,

External portable drives: They are compact but keep in mind that lots of users experience connections related issues such as: broken ports, defective PCBs, etc. As a results, you can lose the drive's file and partitions thus putting it at risk.
Big internal drives: I believe this is a cost effective reliable solution. Though, keep in mind that your most important data should have a backup(external, cloud, etc) in case something happens with your whole system.
Desktop arrays: Most probably it falls in a slightly higher price range as it comes as a all-in-one solution. The good thing is that is quite compact and you don't really need to move some HDDs around. Also, most of them offer RAID 1 which provides redundancy. If you don't really need that, you can use it in a JBOD mode and use the full capacity.

For example, you can check WD My Book Duo: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=9TBNOz

Hope this will help :)
D_Know_WD

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

hi D_Know_WD , sorry but are you WD salesman? I think WD My Book Duo is something not very cost-effective. It can only accommodate two HDDs which is obviously not enough for me, even if the drive is 8T each. That's why I am looking for a more long-term solution

Even though I am a WD's representative, I am not a salesman and I am not really trying to sell anything. I was just trying to point out the pros and cons of the three options you have listed. Also, I mentioned that desktop arrays fall in a higher price range.
As you need that much storage, I would say that the best way to go is to store your data on big internal HDDs.

D_Know_WD