Vidalexio

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
Hey everyone, its been a while since I've had a question but i was wondering something.
So I am buying a new home and i want to have a screen in just about every room. So my living room will house my TV, my bedroom will have a TV as well, my office will be for my gaming rig, my kitchen wants a screen for when cooking and obviously my bathroom gets a screen too. All should have mouse and keyboard. I'm guessing my gaming rig will have to be on its own from the rest of the home system.
Now, i guess my question is, what can i do to run all of these screens mouse and keyboards? Do i need a dedicated pc for each room? Is there a Virtual option that can run from one pc or rack mounted pc? the reason for this is i want to have a clean setup where wires aren't showing.

Thanks in advance!

USAFRet

Titan
A PC in each room is much easier, and no more expensive, than trying to run all this from one large server.

The concept your thinking of is a Thin Client. A large central server, that feeds distributed small diskless clients.
This only really benefits if you have a LARGE number of systems, and it really only benefits in the overall management.

USAFRet

Titan
Do keyboards/mice/screens that connect via WiFi exist? If they do, those could be a good option. If not, I'd better apply for copyrights.
Keyboard/mouse, sort of, depending on what you want to use it for.
I have a Logitech K830 keyboard/trackpad.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZOPVSKW

Great for manipulating a PC connected to a TV for movies and web browsing. The PC sits across the room, under the TV.
Not great if you want to play any games.

The cleanest, easiest to manage solution would be a 12" tablet. Already wireless and would work in the kitchen and bathroom for media streaming, looking up recipes, etc. You can get wall-mounted or freestanding holders to make it easily viewable. Also most smart TVs allow you to cast the media from the tablet to the TV so there is your built in keyboard and control.

I'm not seeing any advantage to having PCs all over the place.

Have you seen the app KinoConsole? It works quite well on android/iOS for streaming. You could buy cheap tablets, connect them to a main pc (the gaming one, for example). Kino VR allows you to connect a controller to the tablet, and have it input as a controller to the main PC, then you can use Steam to map these controls as standard inputs (mouse left click right click etc). It is actually a genius idea if I say so myself. Plus it's free, and runs on relatively slow internet if needed to.

Vidalexio

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
Wow! Everyone! Thank you all for your amazing Ideas and Advice! I really appreciate the input. Now having the pc in every room idea may possibly work but they would have to be small enough to hide. im going for a clean look here. i grew up having nasty wires shown and running all over the place. this is my first home and i want it to be clean which is why i was thinking one main server and wires running in the walls to the rooms. I used to work in a call center and thats kinda how it was. every system was connected to the server and it was a very clean setup.
I will take all of your advice and go from there.

Thank you all once again! When i figure something out, i will let you all know what ive done.

Wireless charging tablets with KinoConsole and a Bluetooth controller might be a good way to look at this. Btw using steam on the main pc they are connected to also allows you to set up desktop layouts, so you can use an analogue stick (is that what they're called) to move the mouse and click etc, and also type using Windows on screen keyboard. Then, launch any game that you have a controller layout setup with steam, including a non-steam game, and the controller layout changes to whatever you set for that game automatically. I believe you can also connect the system to your GMail and use it on the go on separate internet connections, such as mobile networks. Also, it has a built in VR function that can actually turn any game (believe me as weird as it sounds) to VR.

TRENDING THREADS