Have been using Pro for long time now but "finally" someone has asked me to
clean up their Home pc. I've never deaqlt with it before.

Everything's fine EXCEPT ethernet access. I've done the same as I've always
done with Pro but when I try to access any shared folder I was getting a
"IPC$" password prompt. Managed to rid myself of this after searching MS but
now instead I'm just getting a "the user has not been granted the requested
login type at this computer". Anybody know what the hell's going on and how
to fix it so that I can access the Home pc's shares as easily as I can with
my other pc's, e.g. 1-Pro,6-98SE's and 1-95 pc?

Makes me so frustrated I feel like just doing a clean install and the hell
with Home, just put a "no activation" copy of Pro on it instead.

hey pjp,
ive done a quick search and someone posted this on another site - i dont
know whether this will work but its a starting point.
Q: I have two computers on the network and they are both running Windows
XP. The problem is with one of the computers on the network. I can access
shared files on one computer. When I try to access any of the shared files
and connect to the other computer I get the following error:
PC#1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
this computer.

A: On any XP Pro computer check the Group Policy settings. Check your Local
Security Policy (Click Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools). Click
to expand Local Policies, then click User Rights Assignments. Click "Access
this computer from the network" and make sure that the Everyone group is
included. Click "Deny access to this computer from the network" and make sure
that the Everyone group is NOT included.

If the computer runs Windows XP Home Edition, the "secpol.msc" program isn't
available to make the required user right assignments. Use the ntrights
utility that is part of the Windows 2003 Resource Kit Tools to make the
change. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Download and install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools.

2. Click Start | All Programs | Windows Resource Kit Tools | Command Shell.
Type these lines at the command prompt. The second and third commands are
case-sensitive, so type them exactly as shown. Note the "+r" in the second
one and the "-r" in the third one:

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
If it dosent work, let us know.

Jon
--
Helpdesk Technician
Working towards MCDST

"pjp" wrote:

> Have been using Pro for long time now but "finally" someone has asked me to
> clean up their Home pc. I've never deaqlt with it before.
>
> Everything's fine EXCEPT ethernet access. I've done the same as I've always
> done with Pro but when I try to access any shared folder I was getting a
> "IPC$" password prompt. Managed to rid myself of this after searching MS but
> now instead I'm just getting a "the user has not been granted the requested
> login type at this computer". Anybody know what the hell's going on and how
> to fix it so that I can access the Home pc's shares as easily as I can with
> my other pc's, e.g. 1-Pro,6-98SE's and 1-95 pc?
>
> Makes me so frustrated I feel like just doing a clean install and the hell
> with Home, just put a "no activation" copy of Pro on it instead.

Unfortunately the pc is now "back home" so I can't follow it up. I dealt
with the problem by simply sharing what I wanted/needed on my other pc's and
grabbing it on the Home pc. Made it a pain getting up all the time to get to
the various pc's but it working in some fashion was better than not at all.

I'll keep that post handy though as I'm sure to run across it again. I'll
also see if I can find and download the mentioned tools. Seems kind of
sleazy to me some of the choices MS made regarding home/pro differences,
included tools, what one can easily access etc. etc.

I will add one thought though. No wonder there's so much "trouble" people
have with their pc's, using the net etc. These people were just "regular
folk" who bought a pc, isp etc. and after 4 months or so had almost hundred
various files alone marked as trojan, dialer, adware etc. etc. They just
considered it "par for the course" (knew no better) until finally it just
wouldn't connect anymore etc.

From a guy who feels you don't know how to drive if you can't drive a
standard WITHOUT syncromesh ... :)