[SOLVED] Home WiFi audio options with Bluetooth speakers?

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
We were looking at Sonos Connect or Port for sending our receiver's audio to WiFi speakers in another room thinking it solved all our problems. And then we realised the Sonos speakers we were looking at didn't have Bluetooth which is something we definitely need for our purposes on that speaker. The only option of any quality becomes the Move which comes in at around $500 CAD. Also portable which we like but still... $500.

So, is there any other similar audio system of good quality whose speakers happen to also be bluetooth? It's a functionality we have to have.

Solution
We were looking at Sonos Connect or Port for sending our receiver's audio to WiFi speakers in another room thinking it solved all our problems. And then we realised the Sonos speakers we were looking at didn't have Bluetooth which is something we definitely need for our purposes on that speaker. The only option of any quality becomes the Move which comes in at around $500 CAD. Also portable which we like but still... $500.

So, is there any other similar audio system of good quality whose speakers happen to also be bluetooth? It's a functionality we have to have.
Is a bluetooth receiver to stereo RCA/toslink not acceptable? Connect that to the receiver and you have bluetooth feeding the speakers...

kanewolf

Titan

Is a bluetooth receiver to stereo RCA/toslink not acceptable? Connect that to the receiver and you have bluetooth feeding the speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapter-Streaming-Wireless-Speakers/dp/B016NUTG5K

Solution

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Is a bluetooth receiver to stereo RCA/toslink not acceptable? Connect that to the receiver and you have bluetooth feeding the speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapter-Streaming-Wireless-Speakers/dp/B016NUTG5K
No thats not quite what I'm looking for.

If the Sonos Connect is in the living room tied to the HiFi, and I'm in the dining room down the hall, sure I can hear any CD or LP that is playing in the living room with the Wifi speaker I have in the dining room. But if I want that dining room WiFi speaker to also be an easy speaker to send the game being watched on the tablet to, or a video call, or just some other music that is on my digital audio player... it would be nice for the speaker to have Bluetooth for that quick amplified hookup. And I'm thinking, can I have all that for less than a $500 Sonos Move speaker on some different system. That's all. :)

Bluetooth has a pretty limited range, for a whole house audio setup you don't want to be sending the bluetooth signal to the speaker directly but to the central amp/receiver which then sends that audio to the speakers through WiFi using your Sonos speakers. Other than that, yes there are speakers that have built in bluetooth but then they are not WiFi capable with the Sonos system at the same time.

If you just want a speakers for blueooth, just do a search for "bluetooth speaker" and see what you like for the form factor and quality. Anything from a $50 portable speaker to a $500 higher end Edifier or Swap speaker. https://www.edifier.com/int/product-s2000-pro.html

I'm not sure I understand what you guys are saying. Is there some way to get a tablet in the dining room to use the Sonos speakers via WiFi to play a video? How would that work?

Your Sonos speakers need to have an input from somewhere. That input is from a central amp/reveiver that sends out the signal to them. All you need is to setup a source for that to use, bluetooth or otherwise.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Your Sonos speakers need to have an input from somewhere. That input is from a central amp/reveiver that sends out the signal to them. All you need is to setup a source for that to use, bluetooth or otherwise.
I totally understand that part.
But what I'm looking for is a way to be IN that room with one of the speakers that gets a WiFi signal from the Connect in the living room, and then be able to choose that something being watched on a tablet or phone in that other room have its audio played out through that speaker. I don't see how anything but Bluetooth can do that without leaving the room, which would defeat the whole purpose. There is no receiver I'm going to be able to plug into the audio receiver/amp all the way in the living room that will take a tablet or phone's audio so that it can go to the Sonos Connect. Does that make sense?

kanewolf

Titan
I totally understand that part.
But what I'm looking for is a way to be IN that room with one of the speakers that gets a WiFi signal from the Connect in the living room, and then be able to choose that something being watched on a tablet or phone in that other room have its audio played out through that speaker. I don't see how anything but Bluetooth can do that without leaving the room, which would defeat the whole purpose. There is no receiver I'm going to be able to plug into the audio receiver/amp all the way in the living room that will take a tablet or phone's audio so that it can go to the Sonos Connect. Does that make sense?
I think we understand what you WANT, just that I have never heard of a way to do that. You basically want audio ONLY to be sent via WIFI.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I think we understand what you WANT, just that I have never heard of a way to do that. You basically want audio ONLY to be sent via WIFI.
Right. Gotcha. I think what happened is I misinterpreted people's attempts to help me do this as some kind of indication that Bluetooth wasn't the way to do it anymore because WiFi did it better. So, that IS true, that there are other ways to do this as I understand it, but not for the use I need. I guess people only watch stuff on their TV or if it's on their tablet, they don't care about amplifying sound... and then for music, they do listen to stuff from their tablet or phone, (and Sonos owners have their turntables and CD players hooked up) but in 99% of cases, it's music they control via their portable devices but streams FROM online services and therefore the WiFi network takes care of all that via Connect or Port.

We couldn't care less if bluetooth compresses audio on all the sports we watch via MLB.TV, NHL.TV, DAZN, etc etc etc, or on video calls. For us the bluetooth hookup is the utmost in simplicity and it's why we're getting a Move.
But I can't say how much we appreciate all the feedback and help.

kanewolf

Titan
Right. Gotcha. I think what happened is I misinterpreted people's attempts to help me do this as some kind of indication that Bluetooth wasn't the way to do it anymore because WiFi did it better. So, that IS true, that there are other ways to do this as I understand it, but not for the use I need. I guess people only watch stuff on their TV or if it's on their tablet, they don't care about amplifying sound... and then for music, they do listen to stuff from their tablet or phone, (and Sonos owners have their turntables and CD players hooked up) but in 99% of cases, it's music they control via their portable devices but streams FROM online services and therefore the WiFi network takes care of all that via Connect or Port.

We couldn't care less if bluetooth compresses audio on all the sports we watch via MLB.TV, NHL.TV, DAZN, etc etc etc, or on video calls. For us the bluetooth hookup is the utmost in simplicity and it's why we're getting a Move.
But I can't say how much we appreciate all the feedback and help.
Most people would use bluetooth headphones when walking around with a tablet to get better quality audio. Or a standalone bluetooth speaker. Either of those are much simpler implementations.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Most people would use bluetooth headphones when walking around with a tablet to get better quality audio. Or a standalone bluetooth speaker. Either of those are much simpler implementations.
Wow, really? Ok, so right away I can see why I was having trouble understanding people. We have completely different usage than most people I think, I would never use headphones in my home.
But nevertheless, to go back to my initial idea, the Connect and Move combination that also acts as a standalone Bluetooth when needed is all I was trying to confirm and I think our obviously unconventional use made it hard to be understood.
Thanks again though!