[SOLVED] Home wifi is slow and disconnected devices - many smart home devices have been added

Tommy154

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I got back to my parents house after college and their wifi is significantly worse. According to my dad we're paying for the highest speed internet which I think is 300Mbps in my area (google speed test 11.3down/10.7up, speedtest.net 102.7down/20.3up 14ms idk the discrepancy).

The part that really bothers me is the constant disconnecting throughout the day, whether I'm on my laptop or phone, once or twice throughout the day my device will show me as connected to Wifi, but nothing will load. I'll have to quickly cycle wifi services on the device and it will work again.

My parents have gotten a bunch of smart home (lights, cameras, speakers/Alexa) devices since I've last been here. Checking the devices connected on the router/modem (I think its a 2in1 because they only have one device) I count 18 things under "Online Devices" and another 9 under "Offline Devices", and if it matters 9 things under IPv6 Devices.

I know nothing about networking but I'm assuming this is likely the cause of my issues? Can anyone elaborate or help me figure this out. Do we need to by another network device to load balance this out?

Additional info(not sure if necessary):
-They also have QoS enabled which I believe is sending devices between 5 and 2.4GHz as necessary. They said they had a guy install the router/modem for them and he turned this on
-the router/modem is Technicolor TC8717T
-MoCA is off
-2.4GHz and 5GHz channel selection: (both individually set to) auto
-2.4 channel bandwidth (20☑️, 20/40)
-5 channel bandwidth (20, 20/40, "20/40/80(auto)"☑️)

Solution
if you could acces router wireless settings check on witch channel it transmit on 2.4 and 5 band there may be to many device on the router wireless part .