Home Wireless Access Point

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Hey guys. I have finally come to acceptance in my lack of familiarity with consumer grade WiFi...

Here is my issue, I have a need for an access point only, the reason I say this, I know there are routers that can go into AP mode, but the logic in my head dictates to stay away from routers for fear of complications.

I have a server, firewall, software router, all that stuff. and I need a simple AP to just plug into my switch. I am very unfamiliar with the hardware on the market and for whatever reason am fearful of buying the 'wrong' one.

Here are my needs: dual band, 2.4 and 5 broadcasts simultaneously, something that will easily cover 1500 square feet, it will be located in the center, and have the ability to negotiate over 300mb (I know this is common) but when I say this, I mean, it actually can handle it. Oh, also... reliable N in an area that has only a few other N networks near by, I don't have to worry about apartment levels of wifi, only about 4 other networks at about 50% strength and one at around 80%.

Maybe this is all dumb and any $100 dual band router will work just fine in AP mode, but for whatever reason I am very fearful of buying the wrong product. I am looking at less than $150. I'm not streaming 4k or any severe bandwidth hogs live video editing... I just want an AP my fiancé doesn't have issues with all the time.

My current setup is an old G router for the 2.4 devices that stops broadcasting every few hours and an asus $99 AP that is on 5Ghz...

Thanks so much guys! Sorry for the long post.

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
These are both great looking! The UniFi I've never heard of, but may just become my go-to for building out SOHO setups.. I think I would be just fine with the AP AC-lite.. but the EnGenious does seem to have a bit more per $... It will be a while before I buy, but I will be sure to stay open to suggestions and report back. Thanks.