Home wireless network problems

I've got a wireless network at my house that's been working fine until
the last several weeks, and I hope that somebody here can shed light
on what I should do to fix it.

I've got a Netgear MR814 wireless router hooked up to my DSL line, my
HP Pavillion desktop (wired), and my HP 2510 printer/scanner (wired or
wireless). These all work fine. I've also got a Compaq Evo N610c
laptop with integrated 802.11b.

Much of the time, I get "very good" to "excellent" coverage throughout
my entire house (two floors). Occasionally, most often during the
day, I can only see the WAP if I'm in the same room or perhaps a foot
or two outside the door. Putting the laptop on the windowsill of my
bedroom (line-of-sight to the window of the room with the router)
establishes the connection, but moving it even a foot off breaks it.

This will last from a few minutes to several hours, sometimes the
whole working day. Often, when I'm not getting anything, the laptop
will still act as though it "thinks" it's connected, displaying
several bars on the status display, but if I access the router from
the other computer, it doesn't think the laptop is connected.

There are several other wireless networks that my laptop sees
(sometimes changing as I move through the house) so I suspect that
there's some interference. I've tried moving the router further from
equipment (it was next to the printer) and closer to the wall with the
room I typically work in, but it didn't help. I've tried changing the
channel, but that didn't seem to change anything.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have any easy way of telling whether
this is a problem with my router or with my laptop, so I'm hoping that
somebody here can give me some pointers. I'm prepared to buy a
different router (or a different antenna for this one) if that will
help.

HP Laboratories |There is something fascinating
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |about science. One gets such
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |wholesale returns of conjecture out
|of such a trifling investment of
kirshenbaum@hpl.hp.com |fact.
(650)857-7572 | Mark Twain

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

+------------------------------------
> HP Laboratories |There is something fascinating
> 1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |about science. One gets such
> Palo Alto, CA 94304 |wholesale returns of conjecture
out
> |of such a trifling investment of
> kirshenbaum@hpl.hp.com |fact.
> (650)857-7572 | Mark Twain
>
> http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Have you tried a non-overlapping channel. The only non-overlapping channels
are 1,6,11. Try those.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com