Home Workout, body weight lifting and improvisation

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I've been improvising a home workout for the last 3 weeks and I've been making a quick progress. I started out doing only about 120 push ups total divided into 30-40 repetitions 3 times a week.
Now I'm doing a total of 600 push ups + I'm using my backpack with about 5Kg of weight in it to do arm exercises(Biceps+Triceps+Pendulum). I've been doing 3 sets of about 10 repetitions for the arm exercises alternated with 3 series of 40-60 push ups repetitions for each series.
Now I don't have any body pain I'm starting to feel like increasing my training to 5 times a week doing the same exercises only always increasing gradually the total number of arm and push ups repetitions.
Is it ok or is there anything else I can do to improve it/change it considering my goal is to grow in weight and muscles?

Any help will be very appreciated! :)

Robert Ostrowski

Honorable
May 26, 2013
get one of those total gym doorway pull up bars and start doing pull ups and chin ups for your back and biceps, and do leg raises for your abs. if you cant do pull ups, get a resistance band to help, or work on the negative (jump up pulling your chest to the bar, and slooooowlly lower yourself down)
Also, since your doing a lot of push ups, make them harder by either elevating your feet, wearing the backpack while you do them, or wrapping a resistance band around you and held in your hands so that you have resistance on the push part.
add protein and a some good carbs in your diet to help your muscle grow and recover, and to build some quality bodyweight.
that said it is hard to really build significant muscle using bodyweight exercises, you will tone up and be in shape, but to really bulk, weights are necessary.

Robert Ostrowski

Honorable
May 26, 2013
The pull up bar doesn't actually hang from the door frame, your body weight pulling down on it keeps pressure on both sides of the frame. My 250lbs hasn't caused an issue yet and its rated to 300.

KayGee19

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Yes, doing 100 reps of something is not going to bulk you up. Lower reps, more resistance.

To make push-ups harder, put your feet about as wide as your hands. when you push up, push one of your legs back too, so you're on a "tripod"-- both hands and one foot. lower down, put both feet down. Push up, lifting the other foot off the ground. It's a great challenge for your core.

Then, once you are good at these, do the same thing but keep both feet on the floor and pick up one of your hands with each pushup!

Aaron9546

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Wow this reminds me of me when I first started working out at 13 I did the exact same thing, little bit of nostalgia there haha if you can't go to a gym like I couldn't when I was young then I'd try and do something like this for chest and tri days say 4 sets of standard pushups with weight in the backpack try to make the weight heavy enough for you to do only 10-15 reps max then 4 sets of incline push ups with your feet on a chair ( I used to use my mate and put my feet on his shoulders ) then 4 sets of those triangle handed push ups then maybe 4 sets of clap push ups Then I'd do 5 sets of dips to finnish it off. It's more about rep ranges of 10-15 if you want size and 7-8 minimum you could add some of those hand stand push ups into it aswell for shoulders. If your struggling to add the weight into your bag to get the lower reps then you could try using that elastic band stuff aswell as the bag... It's just easier to do all of this at the gym or buy your own if you have a lot of money to spare.

ASK THE COMMUNITY