tampablendie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hey all,

I'm designing a home-made laptop and have everything sorted except the battery. The reason this is a problem is that I will be using a full size desktop graphics card. This is the one thing that really steams me about laptops insufficient graphics upgrade-ability.

I'm having trouble calculating the required battery output. What would the formula be to calculate the required battery output for all the components, and how would I then calculate the lifetime on a full charge? I have found plenty of lithium ion "packs" that are already chipped to prevent overcharge/ over-discharge, and am not opposed to using two batteries (one for Video card, one for everything else.)

Thanks in advance

tomlennon

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Battery capacities are in Ampere hours. For example a 2800 mAh battery will ideally/theoretically/spherical chicken allow a 2.8A drain for an hour before full discharge. With P=I2R, P=IV, a good ammeter and component specs, you may be able to back-calc the system power requirements (or delta up from the specs on the video card).

I predict this will end badly.