How about..
---------------------------
Monitor: Acer H213H bmid Black 21.5" - $170
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz - $210
Main-Board: ASUS P7P55D LE LGA 1156 Intel P55 - $140
Key-Board: Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2 - $22
RAM: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - $73
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM - $50
DVD Drive: LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW SATA CD/DVD Burner - $29
GPU: Take your pick :D
Case/PSU: Cooler Master PSU+Case *Not Recommended! So better be....
Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC - $70
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX - $74

--------------
Total: $938 Without MIRs & Savings / $888 With $20 MIR and $180 i5 MicroCenter.

Also You might want to consider these.. - Monitor and - Key-Board.

Alt-Keyboard: 1 , 2 , 3 or 4
Alt-Monitor: 1, 2, 3 or 4
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why_Me meant what you're choosing is too old and almost obsolete to be considered and for $1400 you can make an i7 build, Beside you don't need those fancy keyboards, mouses etc. and the monitor is very big too.

So I hope I helped you some :) and...

Medo

:ouch:
$800 for the tablet alone!

It is not that your build really looks bad, it just needs to be optimised...
Are you looking at making this another gaming/folding rig or just a low power workstation?

Also, that Rosewill PSU/case combo is JUNK!
No way it will run your 9800GX2 (congrats on the win BTW :) ).
In fact, I do not recommend running anything on a Rosewill PSU unless you have to :p
Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C or Antec Earthwatts.
The only way to roll.

Let us know just what you want to do with this system.
When I am free from work, I will see how optimised we can make it for you.
I take it anything with a rebate is out?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Well the keyboard and the mouse together is about $20. Fancy isn't it?

How can you, recommend me an i5 when you don't even know the purpose of the computer?

Let me tell you that the purpose of the computer is to draw, using Corel Painter 11 artworks worthy of being hung, so a big monitor with a good resolution is required. I don't need i5, I need a good tablet. My aging Graphire 4 doesn't cut it anymore.

Trust me, a HD 4850 will be completely useless in this rig. I'm not gaming or anything.

Oh yes, that and the fact my current monitor is 21.6", 0.1 of an inch larger than 3 of your recommendations.

21.6" to 22" doesn't seem worth it eh?

You know what I find funny? The fact your 1st keyboard recommendation is the keyboard I have listed in my build and the second, each keyboard thereafter is more expensive than the keyboard I have picked.

I admire your effort tho.

I'm sorry for being so mean but I'm trying to teach you something :p

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I dunno if the purpose was obvious... you know with the $799 tablet, the overly large screen and the fact my tag is Resident Artist? :p

/jokes

I need some sleep, otherwise I'm gonna make a jerk outta myself.

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Just relax. OK..
I didn't mean to be rude. Just wanted to offer something.
Who makes a jerk "outta himself" is because he's not ready to take opinions.
you don't need to use ( :p ). I noticed the avatar and the tag. But this doesn't specifically mean you're an artist. My avatar is from Crysis (Sgt. Psycho Sykes), This doesn't mean I'm a member of special force, My tag doesn't mean i can travel through time!
^ This one is well illustrated if that change anything.

Alright, here is what I could recommend changing.

Keeping your Monitor, Tablet and accessories:

Athlon II X2 245 + Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H Combo: $125.99
4Gb OCZ Blade Series DDR2 800: $49.99 (also has a $10 MIR if you are able to claim it)
WD Black 640Gb or 750Gb or Your Pick 1Tb: $74.99 for the Wd Blacks, $79.99 for a 1Tb
Antec 300 + 430w PSU or Antec New Solution MicroATX + 380w PSU: $89.99 for the mATX, $99.99 for the 300

Total for everything: $1519.93 - 1534.93 depending on setup

For $21 more, this CPU/Motherboard combo gives you a faster, guaranteed dual core, CPU along with a non-MSI motherboard (big plus).

The RAM, while costing the same if you can not use the rebate, is of higher quality and should run cooler with the heat spreaders.
It will also overclock further if the need arises.

As for the Hard Drive, the Blacks are simply faster (I understand the 640Gb is even more so).
For $5 more, might as well save your self some load time while opening large pictures.
That is unless you need the extra space.
In that case, $10 more gets you a full Tb of storage.

The Antec cases are heads and shoulders above that Rosewill you were looking at.
I personally have the 300 and I can say its build quality rocks for a budget case!
With either of the cases you will get a much better quality, and probably more efficient, PSU than anything Rosewill makes.
I highly recommend changing this even if the Rosewill could power it.

The only real downside to these changes is the lack of an aftermarket CPU cooler :(
You should be able to get along just fine for a while with the stock one, however.
It should at least last you through the rest of winter until you can save up some more cash.

I must also say that I am not sure that display is right for your intended usage.
While it is quite large, it is still a TN panel and it only runs at 1920x1200.
This means you will have massive color shifts when changing the viewing angles, a slightly grainy view and a general lack of color fidelity/gamut.

Unfortunately, a decent PVA or IPS display (what you really need for graphic design) is going to cost you quite a bit more.
Just keep in mind that what you see on the display is not necessarily how it will look when printed.
You can try to compensate for this by calibrating your display (something like the Spyder 2 Express is cheap and will make a heck of a difference) but you are still going to be lacking with a TN panel.
You can locate a list of good graphics displays Here at Prad.de (they have some great display reviews).

Anyways, that is just my 0.02$ on the matter

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I see nothing wrong with your rig but I'd spend a little more on CPU. Even though your application doesn't need more processing power, let's consider you'll end up running more applications at the same time regularly. Also, future versions of the program will certainly consume more CPU cycles.

Good luck with it.

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
^^ Never mind :lol:

I think (just think) that a bigger tablet with an average monitor would be better because you don't draw on the monitor and bigger tablet space would certainly be better help (I'm clueless to this and just used the math to come out with it)

amdfangirl wrote :
------------------------
Well the keyboard and the mouse together is about $20. Fancy isn't it?
How can you, recommend me an i5 when you don't even know the purpose of the computer?
Let me tell you that the purpose of the computer is to draw, using Corel Painter 11 artworks worthy of being hung, so a big monitor with a good resolution is required. I don't need i5, I need a good tablet. My aging Graphire 4 doesn't cut it anymore.
Trust me, a HD 4850 will be completely useless in this rig. I'm not gaming or anything.
Oh yes, that and the fact my current monitor is 21.6", 0.1 of an inch larger than 3 of your recommendations.
21.6" to 22" doesn't seem worth it eh?
You know what I find funny? The fact your 1st keyboard recommendation is the keyboard I have listed in my build and the second, each keyboard thereafter is more expensive than the keyboard I have picked.
I admire your effort tho.
I'm sorry for being so mean but I'm trying to teach you something :p

I forgot to say there that the build i posted is the exact one i posted in another thread and just copied/pasted it
Here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271189-31-system-gaming-hdtv#t1989075

Also can you provide me with your EXACT needs in the tablet section? I might be able to get you a cut deal.

We are all here to learn