Homebuilt computer spontaneously dies on me after a year.

Sportplus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I've put together my own system and it's been running great for a year or so now. But today it just died on me. There were no warning signs.

My screen froze, mouse and keyboard too and I was unable to get the task manager up.
I pressed the power button to reboot and it started but 3 seconds later it shutsdown and starts up again, but the boot screen never shows up. I can't get into bios at all now.

My specs are:
Windows 7 64bit.
P8P67Pro Mobo (Revision 3.1)
Galaxy GTX580
Adata SX900 256gb SSD
8gb Ram (Gskill ripjaw)

Solution
D
I would replace your PSU. As you said it's old anyway and keeping a PSU more than 5 or 6 years is not a great idea anyway. You could take it to a computer shop and have it tested to be sure. I doubt it would cost much. Just call all the shops in your town and take it to the cheapest place with a power supply tester. Even if it's not bad it still could use replacing. I believe that model is from 2006 or so.
D

Deleted member 217926

Year old computer just dies it's most likely the PSU or SSD failure. No booting even into BIOS usually means PSU. Or the motherboard but that would be rare.

Sportplus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

The PSU is an Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) . (Its old and I've carried it over from other builds of mine.)

Unfortunately I don't have another PSU.

I don't know how to test for electrical PSU problems (as in , I don't believe I'm skilled enough for that) .

What are my options here ?

D

Deleted member 217926

I would replace your PSU. As you said it's old anyway and keeping a PSU more than 5 or 6 years is not a great idea anyway. You could take it to a computer shop and have it tested to be sure. I doubt it would cost much. Just call all the shops in your town and take it to the cheapest place with a power supply tester. Even if it's not bad it still could use replacing. I believe that model is from 2006 or so.

Solution

Sportplus

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Thanks anort3,

I'll try and find a place that can test it. Hopefully its just the PSU that has the problem .