Question Homebuilt PC faulty part help

Jun 4, 2019
Hi, so about 4 months ago I built my first custom PC. It worked beautifully until recently when it just refused to power on. the power button causes the PC to light up and case fans to power on, but the computer will not POST no matter what I do. The CPU fans do not come on.

As of writing this, I have tried reseating the CPU, putting the GPU in other PCI Express slots and removing it entirely. I have tried removing the RAM and trying the one or two 8gb sticks in various configurations in the 4 available slots. I have removed all plugs and connectors and re-inserting them. The case has a small fan speed controller. I have tried connecting the two CPU fans directly to the Mobo. None of this has changed anything.

Next I took the machine to Best Buy and paid to have them to swap parts in to see if they could get the machine to at out POST. They didn't have a Mobo with an LGA 1151 socket to test so they determined that, confirming my fear, the motherboard was bad. I send that to the manufacturer (ASUS) with an RMA request. After receiving the board back, I still have the same issue. I should have taken a picture of the serial number on my original board, because I'm not sure what I got back was different, but it didn't appear that it was as pristine as my original one, so I'm assuming they did as they claimed and sent new a new (to-me) motherboard.

Now I've asked other shops by phone at this point what they could do to test the problem so I can fix this and all have claimed that they would do the same process and don't have high end components lying around to test everything.

The specs are as follows:
Windows 10 Home Pro OS
Fractal Define R6
Intel i7 8700k (overclocked to 4.0 GHz)
Asus Maximus Code X
Nvidia RTX2080
Samsung 860 1tb SSD
Corsair HX750 (750 WATT Platinum) PSU
2x 8gb Corsair vengeance ddr4-3200 mhz RAM
Noctua NH-D15

Can someone please recommend what I can do here besides my backup plan to replace everything since it's all under warranty?

As a side note, fuck the the front panel connector and screw tempered glass. Thanks for listening.

Jun 4, 2019
Have you connected heatsink header to cpu_fan properly? Motherboards can prevent operation if this isn't connected right as it assumes no cooling for the cpu and protects it.

I have tried wiping the old thermal paste off and applying a fresh dab. The heatsink, probably like most, is spring tensioned, so I can't imagine it's not flush either. Even if the fans don't come on, the heatsink is plenty large enough for the computer to at least make it to POST

Jun 4, 2019
I meant the wire from the cpu fan, where on the motherboard is that connected to?

Sorry this got left out when I copy pasted it somehow.

The case has a dedicated fan speed controller. There are two CPU fans that I plugged into it. I have also tried directly connecting these to the correct positions in the motherboard. There are three case fans also connected to the fans speed controller which do come on.

Jun 4, 2019
Where is the controller getting it's signal from. The built in controller on the r6 needs a pwm signal, usually from the cpu_fan header as well as sata power. I would recommend not using it to power the cpu fans and have them directly connected to the board.

Sorry for the delay, I appreciate the help.

The controller is plugged into the Mobo on cpu_fan and getting sata power from a cable running up the backside of the case. I'll try connecting the fans individually again

Jun 4, 2019
Where is the controller getting it's signal from. The built in controller on the r6 needs a pwm signal, usually from the cpu_fan header as well as sata power. I would recommend not using it to power the cpu fans and have them directly connected to the board.
Sorry for the delay, I appreciate the help.

The controller is plugged into the Mobo on cpu_fan and getting sata power from a cable running up the backside of the case. I'll try connecting the fans individually again

Okay, I've put the case fans on the cpu_opt connector and tried both fans, and each fan individually on the cpu_fan connector. The CPU fans still do not turn on.

I disconnected the case fans and they still don't seem to get a signal as powering causes then to run at full power, whereas back when the machine was working, they would power up in low mode as they got a signal then.

Jun 4, 2019
Okay, I've put the case fans on the cpu_opt connector and tried both fans, and each fan individually on the cpu_fan connector. The CPU fans still do not turn on.

I disconnected the case fans and they still don't seem to get a signal as powering causes then to run at full power, whereas back when the machine was working, they would power up in low mode as they got a signal then.

Correction the GPU fans are running at full speed, case fans are running normal speed

boju

Titan
Ambassador
See here to check there's nothing you've missed

Did you connect cpu power behind the io panel top left from cpu? Made sure plugs at the power supply side are all plugged in properly?

Might have to remove everything and assemble it outside the case to troubleshoot if case could be shorting something.

Jun 4, 2019
See here to check there's nothing you've missed

Did you connect cpu power behind the io panel top left from cpu? Made sure plugs at the power supply side are all plugged in properly?

Might have to remove everything and assemble it outside the case to troubleshoot if case could be shorting something.

It's possible. I really don't want to breadboard it. I've re-assembled it in the case twice now and that connector is secure.

I have tried all of those beginner tips with the exception of the standoff (it's preinstalled in the case) and the speaker.

Why you ask? Because I don't have one and I'm dumb.. anyways I'll have one tomorrow or the next day (1 day shipping Amazon) to listen.

By the way the error code on the mobo shows 00 which says "not used". A quick Google says that means that either the CPU or motherboard in bad.

Jun 4, 2019
It's possible. I really don't want to breadboard it. I've re-assembled it in the case twice now and that connector is secure.

I have tried all of those beginner tips with the exception of the standoff (it's preinstalled in the case) and the speaker.

Why you ask? Because I don't have one and I'm dumb.. anyways I'll have one tomorrow or the next day (1 day shipping Amazon) to listen.

By the way the error code on the mobo shows 00 which says "not used". A quick Google says that means that either the CPU or motherboard in bad.
Could be the cpu, you did check for bent pins on the mobo?

The motherboard should be off the case, should be easy to determine that.

Unless the original board was sent back 🤔

I didn't check extensively for bent pins, but seeing as it originally failed when it had been working, I doubt it. I'll check if getting a speaker doesn't give me any info.

I definitely verified the there was no need to install a standoff with the case I got when I first built it.

I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures of the original board, given I've had issues in the past where a different company refused to service a laptop beyond doing a factory reset until I sent it in for the 4th or 5th time (turned out the motherboard was corrupted there)

Jun 4, 2019
Could be the cpu, you did check for bent pins on the mobo?

The motherboard should be off the case, should be easy to determine that.

Unless the original board was sent back 🤔

I'm going to try to diagnose it again when I have a speaker to work from. I need to sleep, so I can be bum tired at work in the morning. Thank you a bunch for your help

thepixie

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
remember go back to basics, just run it with one stick of ram in, cpu fan connected up, graphics card and power to this and the motherboard, make sure the motherboard is all powered ok on both connectors. Run it on the bench rather than in the case. I had a long piece of solder on my motherboard shorting out one, was a total nightmare to work out

Jun 4, 2019
No problem, best of luck. Let us know how it goes, hopefully the speaker helps beep some sense ;P

Bloody computers¯\(ツ)

So I bought a couple computer speakers and have tried plugging multiple into the 4 pin connector just about the front panel connector labeled SPEAKER reversing the around to check if I have the pins right. No beeps of any kind :/

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm

Assuming you have the speaker connected to the 4 pin header above f-panel header, page 1-21 of the manual, try see if you get any beeps without any memory installed.

Don't rememeber if you mentioned any lit led debug codes, are there any?

Jun 4, 2019
I've already tried without memory too with the speaker plugged in.

The error case shows 00- not used. The internet claims either the Mobo, cpu, memory or PSU is bad.

Mobo has been replaced. Cpu has been swapped. Memory has been swapped and and tried individually (I have 4 dimm slots) and the PSU has been swapped. Best buy did the swaps for CPU and psu