HomeBuilt PC with Win 8.1 keeps restarting

a10killer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hey all
I built my own system about a year ago, I have had no problems with it until today when it started to randomly reboot. The actual computer itself would not turn off, but the software portion would act like it was doing a normal restart procedure. Thinking it might be a hardware issue I took the pc apart and checked all the connections. I put it back together and ran some diagnostics on top of a stress test to check for any fault hardware. It went great for a little bit and started again. It has gotten so bad that as soon as I reach the login screen the pc reboots. I am now posting this in safe mode and am hoping for some advice. I am moving towards the idea of reinstalling windows or just going with linux again, but I would rather not go through all that trouble for it to be the solution.

Here is some info about the tests:
GPU temp: 30 - 40 c idle, 77 stressed
CPU temp: 30 c
harddrive temps: 20 - 30
Stress test was successful pushing my gpu and cpu to 100% for about an hour with no problems
chkdsk: no problems found
memtest: no problems found
My CPU was getting between .900 and 1.5 volts of power depending on the activity preformed
Virus scans: just some crappy malware from internet explorer

My rig is as follows:
PSU: corsair 750w
GPU: GTX 780 TI
CPU: AMD fx-8350
Motherboard: Asus saber tooth 990fx

Thanks

a10killer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Update: it's not the os, I booted ubuntu and immediatly got the same issue. This issue does not occur in safe mode so it's definitely a hardware issue now, how do I start reading each component?

a10killer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Update 2: the problem has gotten worse, I can't even get to the login screen for Windows. I've deducted that odd not my ram or hardrive by switching them out. I'm now onto my graphics card and later my psu. If those are not the problem I'm guessing it's the mother board... update: it's not the video card