Homebuilt Trouble Shooting

sinbad123

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hi I built a new rig in febuary and I love it works great most of the time but there are some issues that I still need to resolve.

First of all, how often do pc's crash for most people? Mine usually freezes about twice a month usually after playing games ( Bad Company 2) but sometimes for no real reason at all. Initaly when I first had the pc it would crash almost every week but now it seems to be a lot more stable. Could this be just because of faulty drivers? Is there anyway to test the hardware ( I've already tested the ram)?

Also 50% of the time when my computer wakes from sleep mode it will just freeze up or nothing will even come on the screen. I searched this issue on google but it seem's like most people don't have this problem anymore with windows 7. Is there anything I can do to try and solve this? I really don't understand why it won't work.

My Specs are:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 5770
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12
*all a stock speeds

Thanks for any help!

Solution
The point of GPU-Z is to discover if your video card is overheating.

If turning off auto voltage is the only way to discover what voltage your RAM is running at, then sure do that. However, with memtest passing that's less likely (much) to be an issue.

Have you looked up your MB BIOS updates to see if there is anything relevant? Also check chipset drivers.
Uninstall any added Asus software that may have been installed with the board drivers... this stuff can sometimes cause issues.

Is Windows 7 keeping a record of these issues? there should be a white flag down in your system tray.
Your PC shouldnt be freezing that often, i think the last time i got a blue screen was in spring when i was playing with memory timings but that was my own fault.

What motherboard do you have? Some chipsets have problems coming out of sleep mode. You can use Prime 95 to test your CPU and memory as one, if it fails it will blue screen. If you are getting blue screens try to get the error code and see if its listed here
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/blue_screen_survival_guide?page=0,0

sinbad123

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
@Proximon Sorry I forgot to read that thread.

My Specs are:
MOBO: Asus M4A78T-E
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 5770
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12
PSU: Corsair TX 750W
Case: Antec Nine Hundred II

*all a stock speeds and coolers

Hmm, all good parts, chipset shouldnt be giving you any trouble, you have more than enough power.

How did you test your ram? Memtest? Did you run it for multiple passes? It sometimes take 3 or 4 before the RAM starts throwing errors. I would run it over night and see if you have any errors in the morning.

sinbad123

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
6 passes of memtest worked without a flaw. Going to run prime 95 today.

Proximon whats the point in getting GPU-Z? It just list my gpu's specs and temps. Also my bios settings for ram are on auto should i change this?

The point of GPU-Z is to discover if your video card is overheating.

If turning off auto voltage is the only way to discover what voltage your RAM is running at, then sure do that. However, with memtest passing that's less likely (much) to be an issue.

Have you looked up your MB BIOS updates to see if there is anything relevant? Also check chipset drivers.
Uninstall any added Asus software that may have been installed with the board drivers... this stuff can sometimes cause issues.

Is Windows 7 keeping a record of these issues? there should be a white flag down in your system tray.

Solution

sinbad123

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Windows 7 is not reporting anything. I did uninstall the asus probe utility (it always ran in the background so we'll see if that helps). The BIOS and chipset drivers are the latest listed on the asus website.

Also prime95 ran for 6 hours with no problems and furmark ran for 30min with no problems and max temperature of 89C