Homebuilt turns on, doesn't run?

Dartulius

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Hi guys, just built my first rig and frankly, I'm stumped as to what is wrong. Got the computer to boot up, but when I turn it on, I get the option to either boot to Windows or go into system repair. Well, if I try and hit the Boot to Windows option, it just goes back to the same screen. I tried running System Repair and it says that there is a hardware or software malfunction. Now, my assumptions are either that I need to change something within BIOS or the PC is not recognizing my OS. I will list the specs below.

Biostar A870U3 AMD 870 ATX DDR3 1333 AM3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti GPU
8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 1333MHz RAM
750GB Samsung 7200 RPM HDD

Now my reasoning behind the OS being an issue is this. I am using the HDD out of an old PC, and that HDD already has Windows Vista on it. Now, research and tech support advice dictated that I would NOT have to buy another OS because I am using that HDD and it already has Vista on it. Is there something that I will have to format in order for the OS to work or what? Again, stumped here. Another thing, the driver disk that came with the CPU, do I need to just run that after everything boots to Windows once I get my current problem resolved? That was my other idea as what the issue may be here. Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.

Solution
1) run MEMTEST
2) update your BIOS

It's likely you need to reinstall Windows though:

1) format the hard drive and run complete diagnostics via the hard drive manufacturers Diagnostics software (I assume they have this software)

2) reinstall Windows, driver updates (from motherboard website), remaining other drivers then Microsoft updates

3) I recommend Acronis True Image to create backup images (to a second hard drive)

If you have other questions just ask.
putting a hard drive out of the old pc is likely not to work due to driver problems--try pressing the f8 key while booting and select safe mode--if it boots in safe mode remove any old chipset drivers and graphics drivers then restart--if it boots into windows then run the disc that came with the motherboard

1) run MEMTEST
2) update your BIOS

It's likely you need to reinstall Windows though:

1) format the hard drive and run complete diagnostics via the hard drive manufacturers Diagnostics software (I assume they have this software)

2) reinstall Windows, driver updates (from motherboard website), remaining other drivers then Microsoft updates

3) I recommend Acronis True Image to create backup images (to a second hard drive)

If you have other questions just ask.

Solution

MarkD_1205

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Hi. This is the second time I've seen this issue posted. I'm curious if your problem has something to do with the fact that the Phenom 1100 is not on the CPU support list for this motherboard. I've got the same board with an Athlon II X4 640 and hope to sell off the Athlon and put in the Phenom six core to get better movie encode times. I'm wondering if I should just settle for the 1090 (which is on the list) or go for the 1100. The Biostar website points to the 1090T as the top six core in the Phenom series that this board supports. I would always reinstall Windows from scratch, however, because I like knowing where I stand with a fresh installation and any later issues that may arise.

CPU support:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/cpu_support.php?S_ID=524

I noticed the 1100T is not on the list as MarkD_1205 mentions. There is only one BIOS available which I guess is the latest.

I'm not sure if:
1) the 1100T is supported in the BIOS, or
2) if the 1100T could cause problems due to this.

The point of the BIOS update for things like the CPU, and RAM is to apply the proper timings and voltages not only for the best performance but also for stability.

*If in doubt, contact the company and investigate this issue. You could ask them the above two questions.

All voltages and timings can be applied manually.

Speaking for myself, when I first had my Gigabyte motherboard Windows crashed because it first needed a BIOS update for my G-Skill ECO RAM, then I couldn't use my SSD (which surprised me) until they provided a BIOS update for that.

MarkD_1205

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I've been wondering about this, photonboy, but haven't found a forum on the Biostar website where other guys might be discussing this. I found the original question first on Yahoo and then here. It seems a bit strange as the 1100T has the same 125 TDP as the 1090T yet it isn't supported. I've got the same board and RAM but can only take the clock up to 221 from 200 with my Athlon II X4. Biostar themselves state that the "A" series of boards are not designed for any heavy overclocking and this might explain it. I haven't noticed any RAM problems and the board correctly reads my GSkill Ripjaws as 1333. As for Windows failing, I don't know. After installing the board I loaded it fresh. I wouldn't even take the chance using a previous installation unless it was from the same (or very similar) board but it sounds like Dartulius doesn't have the OS install disk. If the HDD is from another set up (especially a third party) I doubt even a backup or setup disk will jump start Windows in this circumstance and a new installation will be unavoidable. As for the Biostar board driver disk, all it does is take you to the AMD/ATI site just as though you were getting the drivers for an ATI video card. While I was waiting for NewEgg to deliver this board I went to the Biostar site and downloaded everything I might need first just in case the disk didn't deliver. Also, Dartulius are you booting in regular or AHCI mode? Perhaps this has something to do with it.

Computers are STUPID...

By this, I mean if the BIOS doesn't see the details for your CPU it has no idea what you have. The BIOS either contains these details when manufactured or as a BIOS update.

If the BIOS has no details for your CPU or RAM it simply guesses and usually on the side of safety not performance.

However it can still put the voltage or timings to a setting that causes instability.

Again, I believe the Motherboard manufacturer should be contacted as mentioned in my previous response.

TRENDING THREADS