Homegroup enabled but not working right

eidolon171

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Here is what I'm working with...

Router: Belkin n600
Device 1: Custom (Windows 8.1) Desktop, connected through Buffalo Airstation n450 wireless usb adapter
Device 2: Samsung (Windows 8.1) Laptop, connected through internal Qualcomm Atheros wifi card (b/g/n compatible)
Device 3: Xbox 360 (S model), connection is hard-wired through ethernet into the router
Device 4: Samsung GalaxyIII

All devices are connected to the homegroup, the settings are adjusted to allow full access to all group members. Behavior of each device is as follows:

The Desktop can see all of the other devices, and all folders located on each of the other devices.

The GalaxyIII can see all of the other devices, and all folders located on each of the other devices as well.

The XBox 360 can see all of the other devices, but will immediately disconnect from a device and stop "seeing" it if the file being accessed is large (eg. a movie from one of the video folders), but no problem with pictures or music.

And lastly, the Samsung laptop can't see anything at all, it just says "No other homegroup PCs are available right now".

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Ty

eidolon171

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Off to a good start...

and...

Thanks for the quick responses. As to the first suggestion I've always had the firewall disabled on both the desktop and the laptop (I double-checked them for good measure). As to the second suggestion there is no anti-virus software installed on either computer.

eidolon171

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I was reading another members thread where they were experiencing a similar issue. That user discovered that the conflict resided with the Microsoft Security Essentials update, all he had to do was disable the MSE's "Network Inspection System". So, I went and checked my update history, and saw that MSE has been installed on my laptop, but not my desktop. Ok, so I thought this might be the culprit. But I looked and looked, I couldn't find out how to disable the Network Inspection System for Win 8.1 users, and in fact it appears that the ability to turn this feature off was removed in a more recent update (One that the laptop has also had installed).