Question Homemade HDD cooling system ?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I have the Rosewill Cullinan case. The case only has mounts for 2 3.5 inch hard drives but I have 4 of them. Because the hard drive bay is so small, I had to stack my 4 hard drives on top of each other. The hard drive bay is also in the bottom of the case with the power supply so that its hidden and looks nice, but airflow doesnt really get in there because its kind of sealed off from the rest of the computer other than 2 small vents. A few days ago I was doing some cable management and I pulled the drives out and they were all very hot. I have my hard drives in a RAID0 configuration. I have an old 80mm cpu fan that I put in there with the drives but they still wont go below 44°c, and that fan runs at 4800rpm and really moves some air. Would it be better to make spacers for HDs so that theres a small gap between each one? It is better to cool the circuit board on the bottom of the drive rather than the top? I'm not too concerned about the drives failing because I got them all from old computers for free, but is 44° bad? Maybe put some old heat syncs in between the drives? I'm open for ideas

Phillip Corcoran

Titan
Stacking HDDs so they are touching each other is very bad practice --- you shouldn't be cramming in more drives than the case was designed for.
You need to get a larger case which has sufficient number of drive bays for your needs, or use two of those 3.5-inch drives externally by mounting them in HDD enclosures.

hotaru.hino

Prominent
Sep 1, 2020
A cursory glance on the internet tells me that an operating temperature up to 60C is expected to be normal. And unless the hard drive is turned off due to inactivity, it's going to keep spinning and thus, it's going to be warm from it.

Though I would suggest keeping the hard drives spaced apart at least 5mm / 0.2" apart for some air to flow through.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
A cursory glance on the internet tells me that an operating temperature up to 60C is expected to be normal. And unless the hard drive is turned off due to inactivity, it's going to keep spinning and thus, it's going to be warm from it.

Though I would suggest keeping the hard drives spaced apart at least 5mm / 0.2" apart for some air to flow through.
Yeah I've been getting alot of different answers about that. I've read they fail at 50, should run at 30, then other people have told me they're fine at 50. Do hard drives automatically turn off from inactivity or is that something I have to set up?

hotaru.hino

Prominent
Sep 1, 2020
Yeah I've been getting alot of different answers about that. I've read they fail at 50, should run at 30, then other people have told me they're fine at 50. Do hard drives automatically turn off from inactivity or is that something I have to set up?
It sounds like those people would freak out and run for the hills if they saw their CPU or GPU run at 80C when there's still 20C of headroom left.

The hard drive turning off automatically depends on the OS. I believe Windows turns them of after 20 minutes of inactivity by default.

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet

ASK THE COMMUNITY