reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I read a article some months ago about a intructor and student who made a mainframe base on 4 cheap of the shelf motherboards and based on amd x2 cpu's. Im trying to send a link to a friend, so a link woud be appreciated

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Actually found it, here is the link for anyone interestested, its a 2500 dollar supercomputer, now im gonna see if my buddy will actually attempt to build it sunce i found this linkhttp://www.calvin.edu/news/releases/2007-08/microwulf.htm

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Interesting article. I don't know if I would go so far as to call this a supercomputer, but it's definitely a cheap alternative to a 4-socket workstation. Would be a cool build to attempt I think. Definitely start a thread on it if you do end up trying to build one. I'd be interested to see the results.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
My friends are a little geekier than I, Between kids, the gym, work, and dating I couldnt find the time although i would like to . My buddy tom will do it, he is a gadget guy, I just had to prove it to him, he didnt beleive me when i told him, so we'll see if he keeps his word and build it, I;'ll start a thread when or if he does