Question Homemade rig overclocking failed

Oct 13, 2019
My rig is 3 or 4 years now. Changed boot SSD not long a go.

Issue: I thought at first it sounded like a fan misfire on startup. I turn the power off and try again. I do this like 4 or 5 times then it stops scratching and come up with a overclocking failed message. I turn it off again, and then I'm up.

Sometimes windows comes with a fix pc message when I'm trying to start it up.

At the beginning I thought it was a fan, now I'm thinking it's the boot SSD. It scratching like a mechanical disk or something.

It's an i7 with an NVIDIA 970 or 980 or something. It has 2 SSD's and 2 HHD. All 4 is in use.

You have an idea what part I should change or something semisimple I can fix? I built it myself with parts suggested by someone else.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

3 or 4 years old.... has the PSU ever been replaced? If not then a failing PSU would be the prime suspect.

Have you opened the case to look for loose connections and to reseat cables, RAM, PCIe cards, plus generally clean the system?

Try that and if the problems continue then try another PSU.

Oct 13, 2019
Thank you. Somehow I think the sound isn't the right one. The PSU would have a more metallic sound perhaps. I have recently been into the case checking just if everything looked right and checking cables, but I can always do more. I'll do more checking again and come back with more precise information and more on the parts I'm using.

This may not be related, but might be helpful. I have had a problem when I come to the end of civ6. The computer has a lot to calculate. I have an intense and scary screamish sound, it's completely unresponsive and I again have to turn the power off. It's been like this since I first built it. I was told it could either be the power unit PSU, the i7 or ... the motherboard I think. Since then the power unit has been changed. I got a new PSU just for this issue, but it didn't really help much. Recently though it's not been such a big problem. I have changed the SSD for a different issue.

Original order issued:
The new storage units are not listed here. I also have a wifi unit.

Date january 2016

Last edited: