Homeplug 1/4 speed of others

OllieTheCool

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Hi I have several homeplugs on my home network, all devolo 650+, with one connected directly to the router, using a cat 5 ethernet cable to connect to the plugs, I get around 80mb/s on speed test and 60 through wifi.

However, the plug in my study, connected to my desktop only gets at maximum 20mb/s and frequently loses conncetion for a couple of seconds, despite being just a room away from a fully functioning plug.

I have tried switching plugs and wall sockets and nothing changes the speed im getting.

Any ideas or should I switch to a wifi connection instead?

Solution
It may only be 1 room away but the wire may actually run all the way to the electrical panel and back. Lots of things affect the actual speed you get none of which you can do much about. Can be wire length or interference or a number of other things.

Running networks with more than 2 powerline devices will reduce your total throughput.
It may only be 1 room away but the wire may actually run all the way to the electrical panel and back. Lots of things affect the actual speed you get none of which you can do much about. Can be wire length or interference or a number of other things.

Running networks with more than 2 powerline devices will reduce your total throughput.

Solution