Homeplugs give unidentified network & no internet connection

TheRealOne

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Hey all ,

So 2 days ago I was gone for a couple hours and when I came back my PC showed "Unidentified network - no internet connection"... I've been using the Aztech Homeplug for a year now (I got it 5 years ago) :

https://www.aztech.com/commercial/odm-oem/homeplug/hl113e

The thing is with the homeplugs is that both are connected , yet it shows no internet connection... the IP address as of right now starts with : 169.254.x.x .
And noteworthy to mention that the main pc in the living room downstairs has a stable and running net connection , and I tried looking up for solutions , been trying the ipconfig release and renew thing - but the renew command stucks everytime showing DHCP problems .
Any help would be greatly appreciated , as I've been experiencing this for 2 days now and been using my wifi adapter since then .

Solution
Hurray !!

I finally have done it ! after reading the manual on the manufacturer's website the adapters seem to have more functions than it looks , basically all I had to do is press on easy connect (the first button) for a couple seconds on both adapters within 2 minutes and that solved the problem , the main idea behind this button is that it allows you to connect both adapters within a short period of time .. and I kept thinking it's a refresh button .. poor me .
Cheers everyone !
Sounds like the two units are not talking to one another. I have issues with this sometimes after brief power outages. Oddly, my units will have all the lights on like they are connected, but will not work. For me, the fix is to unplug all the homeplug adapters. Wait a minute, then plug in the "base" unit ... the one connected to your router. Wait a minute, then plug in the "remote" unit. Hopefully that will get you going again.

TheRealOne

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Could be , but as I mentioned , I've been using these for over a year now without a single problem up until a couple days ago when all of a sudden all I see is "Unidentified network and no Internet connection" , plus the second light on the adapter has gone off leaving only the first and the last (third) lights on .. I wonder what the second light indicates for ?

TheRealOne

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Thought it might actually work but no .. the problem is with the IP address thing as for both adapters the second light is off and it stayed off after I tried everything :/

Although it is always said to not plug powerline units into a power strip pluging both into a power strip is a good way to test. You want a really simple power strip with no surge protection.

It is strange that you do not get a ethernet light on either end when you plug a cable in. Maybe they work different from the ones I used. Those used to have the ethernet light on even when the connection between the units was bad.

If it was only on 1 end you start to suspect a bad cable but when it is both ends maybe they just work that way.

The powerline connection light should be green. If it is orange or red it is not correctly connected.

The IP address issue is a red herring. 196.254.x.x is a special address for when your adapter can't get an address through DHCP. If I understand your adapters, the second light (first power, second home plug, third Ethernet) indicates the remote is connected to the base. You may have to clear them and do the pairing proceedure again. I like Bill's idea of having them plugged in next to one another.

TheRealOne

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

I got a modem-router setup in my home which only means I got a single router/modem , and yes the powerline is truly connected with the a green light on the back of the router ..

TheRealOne

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Both adapters showing 2 lights on , I assume the one off is the Ethernet itself since the last one is meant to be the connectivity between the two adapters and the router/modem .. However I forgot to mention I had orange light on 1 end prior to this incident and the main one connected to the router had a red light if it means anything .
- Tried to put both adapters into the same power strip and wall socket , still showed same lights (on one adapter the last light was off since there's no PC connected) , tried to connect the one I use to my PC into my laptop an hour ago .. still did not work and showed the same lights :(

TheRealOne

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

I just checked the Aztech website and it shows this for the LED indicators :
1 x Power LED (Green color)
1 x Powerline Link/Activity Status LED (Bicolor)
1 x Ethernet Link/Activity Status LED (Green color)

so does this mean both adapters are not connecting to each other ? I tried bill's idea but still did not work and second light was still off

TheRealOne

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Hurray !!

I finally have done it ! after reading the manual on the manufacturer's website the adapters seem to have more functions than it looks , basically all I had to do is press on easy connect (the first button) for a couple seconds on both adapters within 2 minutes and that solved the problem , the main idea behind this button is that it allows you to connect both adapters within a short period of time .. and I kept thinking it's a refresh button .. poor me .
Cheers everyone !

Solution