Honda CBR600RR license plate issue

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017
Hey guys. I bought a 2005 CBR660RR a week or two ago and I'm getting ready to have an issue. Indiana has a law going into effect that requires all plates to be illuminated and to be specific colors. Unfortunately, the bike has a fender eliminator kit and slip on exhaust (Yoshimura RS-5) that make it difficult for me to find mounting options/lighting options.

Here are some pictures of what I currently have.
https://imgur.com/a/hl8EuEN

Am I screwed? Will I need to purchase a different slip on so I'm able to buy a light? Thanks guys!

Solution
I'd bring it to a local shop that does inspections, they should be able to give you an idea if you can work around this as is or if your going to have to dump the slip on and go back to a full bracket plate.

Mine had to be lit up but there's certain colors you can't use in Mass.

WildCard999

Titan
I'd bring it to a local shop that does inspections, they should be able to give you an idea if you can work around this as is or if your going to have to dump the slip on and go back to a full bracket plate.

Mine had to be lit up but there's certain colors you can't use in Mass.

Solution
Hmmm, considering it is mounted on the exhaust I think your main concern would be protecting the wires from touching and melting the insulation. Silicone insulated wires might be a good idea. I don't know of any pre-made illuminating kits for the plate, but if you're handy or you take it to a car radio install shop you can rig some custom illumination. Maybe something that attaches to the lower plate holes and shines upward, with the wires routed carefully to avoid the heat as mentioned before.

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017

That's one of the things I was worried about too. I could see wiring insulation melting in no time flat. I couldn't really find anything online that could replace the plate holder that I currently have with this exhaust.

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017

Good thinking. I'll head over to Honda tonight and see what they think.