Honda CRV or Subaru Forester?

glitchmaster0001

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Hi, this is my first in the Tom's Automotive section. I was wondering which car is the best choice for a family car, commute car, and a car for driving in snow during the winter. Ive done some research and came up with the Honda CRV but recently my son's auto tech instructor has recommended the Subaru Forester as its cheaper and it comes stock with AWD in all models of the Forester. Which car would be the better choice for me? The CRV or the Forester?

I'd give another shout for the forester. It's not as tall as the cr-v but the cr-v seems a bit awkward. Just my personal opinion. It's a little too short and high centered and feels a tad cramped inside. The forester feels more stable and roomy. For rain/snow I think I'd opt for the forester over the cr-v and typically I'm a fan of most hondas. They just came up short on that one, the cr-v feels 'budget'.

woot

Distinguished

Stay away from Subarus 2.5L flat-4 engine, especially used, slapping pistons at 200k, headgasket problems.

You much better of with a CVR, much more reliable, plus hondas AWD system will be sufficient for your snowy needs.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
The Honda is good, the Forester is better. Much more stable in the snow than the CRv (a good friend has a CRv, I have a legacy, Uncle has a forester)

All over the forums people are saying stay away from the 2.5L. A lot of it is people repeating what other people say. My Legacy (now regulated to a winter car on snow days) has 167,000 on it and fires right up without issues. (My Uncle has yet to go over 100k on his 2.5) Never has had head gasket issues or over heating issues. They are also very easy to work on.

(in the last 17,000 miles, I put in a new radiator (1 hour), new injectors (20 minutes) and a 1/2 shaft (1.5 hours) with basic hand tools. I am still on the stock exhaust, stock fuel pump, stock head gaskets, stock water pump.

Given the choice, I would never go with the Honda.

TRENDING THREADS