Question Honest Scalper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartlessnoob

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017
There is a scalper on ebay selling scalped cards(yeah I know). He says he got them from Newegg and even sent me a photo to prove his orders were legit. He says he will send the receipt with the order for RMA. How would that work if its not under my name and my order history does not have said card in order history? Is he trying to screw me? I really don't know so I am hoping one of you can fill me in on this. I really don't want to buy scalped but this guy alone bought more than 20 Sapphire 7900 XTX's from Newegg. I don't think I can ever win against their bots. My only concern is the dreaded coil whine. I don't want to be hearing a carpentry shop while playing.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Go the manufacturer site and see if they will honor 3rd party warranties. Evga would if you could rustle up proofs of purchases while Zotac would only honor warranties if purchases from an authorized reseller.

So you need to know the make and model of the card, who built it.

The warranty terms might also be limited eg. you don't overclock or undervolt the card or remove the heatsink to repaste- so after your warranty has expired it's totally at your own risk 3-5 years later when you need to renew thermal solutions and thermal pads and de-dust things etc. then you might need some skilz or else pay an electronics shop to do it so long as the card is actually working and not broken, is it that terrifying to renew the thermal pads on an out of warranty card in 5 years that is still working? Either way if the card will only continue to work if you fix it up, there's nothing to lose in trying. So you need to know what thermal pads of which thickness to buy - 1 or 2 mm can actually be more tricky than it looks if nobody knows or nobody says in their specification data sheets.

Zotac's warranty terms looked like they intended only to sort DOAs mainly you unbox the card, plug it in, it doesn't work you can send it back the end. If you faff around with it you might be out of luck.

If you decide you want to apply liquid metal instead of thermal grease just don't get it everywhere and realise that spilling liquid metal is deadly to hardware - you decide the risks you want to take. Chances are you don't want to do anything radical to anything expensive, right? So just stick with thermal paste then, don't have a cow, man.

So if the seller is selling the card unused and trying to turn a profit by effectively shorting demand that's one thing if they've opened it up and mined on it and then sold it as new - that's misrepresentation.

Basickly gpus fly off the shelves - you need a reliable reseller and tech companies sprout like mushrooms and disappear overnight, warranties with them.

So it's up to tech firms to limit purchases if they are targeting home users? What can you do? You obviously need to keep informed, people aren't going to say (yet) you can't buy 20 of this product off of us, so who cares is basically what it is besides some people might have a legitimate use for bulk orders so should the industry have some verification of purchaser scheme really will they do that when they are in it for a profit

USAFRet

Titan
So it's up to tech firms to limit purchases if they are targeting home users? What can you do? You obviously need to keep informed, people aren't going to say (yet) you can't buy 20 of this product off of us, so who cares is basically what it is besides some people might have a legitimate use for bulk orders so should the industry have some verification of purchaser scheme really will they do that when they are in it for a profit
And scalpers have 20 different accounts with 20 different email addresses.

heartlessnoob

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017
Well I don't want to buy from these A-holes but what can we do? Spend days glued to the screen hoping to snatch one? I have owned 6 or 8 GPU's in my lifetime both from AMD and Nvidia and I don't think I have ever heard coil whine. Perhaps if I open the case and put my ear near it I could have. So how bad is this coil whine noise? In every Youtube video I have seen, they open the case and put the mic near it. So is it that bad?

D

Deleted member 14196

Even if you get one, it won’t make you happy it’s just the material

Maybe look into Buddhism and try not to want too much. You will be much happier as a result. With the price of GPUs, I’m never buying another
I’m sticking to consoles

I wouldn’t deal with scalpers. They are the scum of the Earth.

He says he got them from Newegg and even sent me a photo to prove his orders were legit. He says he will send the receipt with the order for RMA
the seller mentions RMA, which would usually be taken up with the manufacturer, not the retailer.
for a return and refund from the retailer you would just be out of luck in this situation.
but having the actual purchase invoice will allow you to register with the manufacturer and attain any support and warranty services.

though no one should support this scalping bs.
people allowing this to continue could just make every new generation of hardware released harder to come by at MSRP.

USAFRet

Titan
the seller mentions RMA, which would usually be taken up with the manufacturer, not the retailer.
for a return and refund from the retailer you would just be out of luck in this situation.
but having the actual purchase invoice will allow you to register with the manufacturer and attain any support and warranty services.

people allowing this to continue could just make every new generation of hardware released harder to come by at MSRP.
RMA or warranty only counts if the manufacturer supports it.
The seller scalper can say anything he wants.

heartlessnoob

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017

I really don't want to support this crap, I have been resisting since the launch of the 4090 and now with the 7900 XTX and I just can't get one at MSRP. So with the RMA, in case of coil whine, you think Sapphire will repair it?

heartlessnoob

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017
Let’s ask this question. How much is said xtx selling for? Why not just grab a 4080 for about the same price probably and have a warranty and not support scalpers, plus probably not have to deal with coil whine(not sure if 4080s have that issue).

Oh you're right. My system currently has a R9 7900X I thought it would pair better with an AMD GPU. How does the 4080 stack against the 7900 XTX?

View: https://youtu.be/caqToIeVqlI

The guy makes the point at the end that he doesn’t think the 4080 is worth extra over the 7900 xtx, but if you are saying lets say 200-300 extra for the 7900xtx, then what’s the difference really?

In my case I’m getting a 3080 that they listed as used, but said it was actually new (pulled from a cyberpower system). However to get a 3080 from most other places I checked it was 700-800 bucks. Vs I got this card for 600.

gordonliu

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
until someone can provide evidence that scalpers actually have a "worst case scenario" to the economic and personal incentives that drive them into scalping in the first place..... like hypothetically an inability to even sell at a slight loss or convert their inventory into a return in some other way (mining with stolen electricity?)....

then "not supporting" scalpers is probably a fools errand suggestion, even if it makes sense from all angles, most especially from the moral and best practices angle (which I fully agree with).

Maybe I am just too cynical and have given up for so long that I simply cannot conceive that it matters.

as far as I'm aware the predominant principle that scalpers are following is sort of like the low end drug dealers who purchase and resell smaller end of wholesale quantities to fund their personal addiction as a net zero investment or small profit generating endeavor.

in other words:

its almost impossible to discourage scalping, since a majority of the participants are doing it to make 1% profit (enough to pay for a handful of GPUs for their own personal or small business needs), or are doing it as part of a much larger set of business practices and thus may be subsidized by other profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.