[SOLVED] Honestly really worried about my new EVGA card's potential coil whine

Mar 13, 2020
I just bought an EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra Gaming, but I'm having some regret. My biggest issue is that I hear it - and all other EVGA cards - have terrible coil whine. I value noise above almost all other parameters because my OCD tends to focus on said noise. For my uses, I should say I really only care about 60fps and enable v-sych, and I might bump up to 4k but I don't really care about 144 frames or whateverr. Still, Now I am considering switching to this card instead since I haven't heard anything bad about it: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-super-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x/p/N82E16814137445

I know there's a good RMA process with the EVGA but if I can't find an issue to solve the coil whine, I'll be stuck with it. I'd rather have a card without it than deal with it. Can anyone chime on on their experience with this card for coil whine, and should I just go for the MSI?

Last edited:
Solution
i have had 3 EVGA cards over the last 6-7 years: 290x, 1070, and 1080 Ti(which i've used for two years now). none of them have made any coil whine noise or peculiar fan noises.

there is no particular manufacturer(s) that are known across their whole product line for producing this noise. it is just a bad luck draw that you may get a device that has irregular copper wiring or any other electrical system that may be damaged, not aligned properly, or many other factors that can cause this type of noise.

I just bought an EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra Gaming, but I'm having some regret. My biggest issue is that I hear it - and all other EVGA cards - have terrible coil whine.
you mean you actually hear the card creating this noise now?
or...
i have had 3 EVGA cards over the last 6-7 years: 290x, 1070, and 1080 Ti(which i've used for two years now). none of them have made any coil whine noise or peculiar fan noises.

there is no particular manufacturer(s) that are known across their whole product line for producing this noise. it is just a bad luck draw that you may get a device that has irregular copper wiring or any other electrical system that may be damaged, not aligned properly, or many other factors that can cause this type of noise.

I just bought an EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra Gaming, but I'm having some regret. My biggest issue is that I hear it - and all other EVGA cards - have terrible coil whine.
or just that you have heard that EVGA products produce this noise? by the way, where do you think you "heard" this? you mean you read it somewhere or someone you know has just taken an anti-EVGA stance?
I know there's a good RMA process with the EVGA but if I can't find an issue to solve the coil whine, I'll be stuck with it.
why would you be stuck with it? especially considering that they do have good customer service and a 3 year warranty?

but if you're going to spend time worrying and stressing about it being a future issue; just get the replacement and save yourself the bother.

Solution
Mar 13, 2020

or just that you have heard that EVGA products produce this noise? by the way, where do you think you "heard" this? you mean you read it somewhere or someone you know has just taken an anti-EVGA stance?
why would you be stuck with it? especially considering that they do have good customer service and a 3 year warranty?

but if you're going to spend time worrying and stressing about it being a future issue; just get the replacement and save yourself the bother.
To clarify, I do not have the card yet. Customer reviews are saying this is a problem and so I have some hesitations about the card.