Question Hooking up 2 monitors to both PC AND Laptop, switch between both

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitahlity

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
I have a tech question because I’m lost. I start my new remote position tomorrow. They only sent me a laptop (Dell XPS 13 7390) and I’m going to need to use two monitors with it. I have my two main monitors on my personal desktop setup, but I don’t want to buy a docking station and then have to unplug my monitors from my pc and into the dock every morning for work.

Is there some type of hub or splitter or KVM switch or something that would let me hook my monitors up to both my pc and my work laptop and switch between whichever device (pc or laptop) I want to use?

Or am I stuck using a dock and unplugging my monitors from pc to work dock every morning? Or I just buy two new monitors and dock for my work laptop?

Any help is appreciated.

vitahlity

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
Make and model of your two monitors that you're currently in possession of? Which ports are populated on the monitors at this moment of time(without the laptop)?

thanks for the reply! My main monitor is the ASUS VG248QE, and my secondary is a Hannspree HE225DPB.

for the asus, I have the display port into my pc, and the Hannspree I have either a DVI or VGA cable, not sure which and I’m not home at the moment!

I am thinking I might have to buy a new monitor since the Hannspree doesn’t have a HDMI or displayport port?

vitahlity

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
thanks for the reply! My main monitor is the ASUS VG248QE, and my secondary is a Hannspree HE225DPB.

for the asus, I have the display port into my pc, and the Hannspree I have either a DVI or VGA cable, not sure which and I’m not home at the moment!

I am thinking I might have to buy a new monitor since the Hannspree doesn’t have a HDMI or displayport port?

Any update on this? :)

vitahlity

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
I have a tech question because I’m lost. I start my new remote position tomorrow. They only sent me a laptop (Dell XPS 13 7390) and I’m going to need to use two monitors with it. I have my two main monitors on my personal desktop setup, but I don’t want to buy a docking station and then have to unplug my monitors from my pc and into the dock every morning for work.
My main monitor is the ASUS VG248QE, and my secondary is a Hannspree HE225DPB. For the asus, I have the display port into my pc, and the Hannspree I have either a DVI or VGA cable, not sure which and I’m not home at the moment!

Is there some type of hub or splitter or KVM switch or something that would let me hook my monitors up to both my pc and my work laptop and switch between whichever device (pc or laptop) I want to use?

Or am I stuck using a dock and unplugging my monitors from pc to work dock every morning? Or I just buy two new monitors and dock for my work laptop?

Any help is appreciated.

vitahlity

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
I have a tech question because I’m lost. I started my new remote position today. They only sent me a laptop (Dell XPS 13 7390) and I’m going to need to use two monitors with it. I have my two main monitors on my personal desktop setup, but I don’t want to buy a docking station and then have to unplug my monitors from my pc and into the dock every morning for work.
My main monitor is the ASUS VG248QE, and my secondary is a Hannspree HE225DPB. For the asus, I have the display port into my pc, and the Hannspree I have either a DVI or VGA cable, not sure which and I’m not home at the moment!

Any help is appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
Your Dell has two thunderbolt/display port connections -- if I read the Dell website correctly.
First thing you have to do to get a KVM that will work is standardize on a type of connection. Displayport would be the obvious choice for the laptop.

vitahlity

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
Your Dell has two thunderbolt/display port connections -- if I read the Dell website correctly.
First thing you have to do to get a KVM that will work is standardize on a type of connection. Displayport would be the obvious choice for the laptop.

I think this one would work:

https://buytesmart.com/products/dua...output-usb-sharing-4x2?variant=36930443837598

What do you think? Only issue is my second monitor has a VGA port but I can just buy a VGA-HDMI or VGA-DP adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.