[SOLVED] Hooking up a GTX Geforce 1050 Ti Gaming to a PC externally.

Dec 21, 2018
Hello. Recently I bought a new GTX Geforce 1050 Ti Gaming with 2 fans expecting it to fit into my computer. It unfortunately did not fit and I was about to send it back and get a refund when I thought about hooking it up externally. I am new to the PC building scene so I don't know what would be best, however, I don't want to spend a ton more money on this if I don't have to. My question mainly is "Is it possible to hook up a Graphics Card to a computer through a USB connection?" I've seen eGPU units that aren't blocks, but rather little things similar to what you would plug a graphics card into that have connections for other things. (example: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6V85J95575&Description=external%20graphics%20card&cm_re=external_graphics_card-_-9SIA6V85J95575-_-Product) However, I want to know if there's a USB driven one, like one that would connect via a USB cable to my computer or if that's not possible, one that I could easily understand. If this makes any sense, please answer sooner rather than later as I would probably be returning my GTX Geforce 1050 if I don't have a solid answer soon. Thanks.

Solution
More information would be extremely helpful; you're asking for advice about problems connecting a GPU to a PC without telling us anything about the PC. Rob's advice is helpful, but everyone can be more helpful if we know the parts you used or even, if it's a prebuilt, the model of the prebuilt.

The six-pin is a connection from the power supply. If your power supply doesn't have one and your GPU in fact does, that's a pretty good indication that you'll need a new power supply; any power supply that you ought to be trusting with a GPU will have that cable.

My advice would also be to move the build to a new case. Having a GPU awkwardly connected outside the rig is something you do when you have your doctoral thesis on the PC and no...
Dec 21, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply. I would assume with this the wires would come from the computer itself in terms of the "6-pin" I belive it's called.

Edit: I can also take pictures of what my current setup is if that helps with the wire situation, but it would have to be later today as I'm going to be at work all day today most likely. I tried last night to find where the graphics card in my computer would be (or at least the cord that connects it to the power source) but I couldn't determine it.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

So this simply extends your PCI-E slot, so you dont have to cripple your performance using that usb adapter.

If the graphics card needs a 6pin pci-e power cable then you may need an extension for that depending on how long the cable is from your psu - but many 1050 ti do not require the 6pin power cable.

Dec 21, 2018

Thing is I'm not building from scratch. I'm just trying to add on to or upgrade my current PC with a new Graphics Card. I just happened to choose one that I need stuff for to help it fit. Like I said in my edit, I can take pictures for help, but it would have to be later tonight.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
More information would be extremely helpful; you're asking for advice about problems connecting a GPU to a PC without telling us anything about the PC. Rob's advice is helpful, but everyone can be more helpful if we know the parts you used or even, if it's a prebuilt, the model of the prebuilt.

The six-pin is a connection from the power supply. If your power supply doesn't have one and your GPU in fact does, that's a pretty good indication that you'll need a new power supply; any power supply that you ought to be trusting with a GPU will have that cable.

My advice would also be to move the build to a new case. Having a GPU awkwardly connected outside the rig is something you do when you have your doctoral thesis on the PC and no integrated graphics and you need to fetch the file and stuff like that.

Solution