Hooking up a laptop hard drive to a desktop

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
so i just pulled a WD 500gb hard drive out of a laptop that no longer works. Im hoping i can use it in my desktop, But i cant get it to recognize both in windows 7 and in the Bios. Any ideas?

The HDD its an SATA but it also has a really small connection port with 4 small silver pins. (looks like a CPU fan port or something.

Any ideas?

Solution
That click sound, is the sound of a dead hdd. The rattle is caused by a broken head or platter, the click is a different reason. Either way it's dead as far as i know.
Might be able to run WD diagnosic program to see what could be causing it.

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I cant guarantee the hard drive works but I figured for 500gb id give it a try. When i plug it in however im getting a running sound..then a click...run...then a click. Almost like its trying to start but then it clicks. After a few times the sound stops.

Now I have heard the sound a dying hard drive makes, almost like a rattling sound. So I know it isnt that.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
That click sound, is the sound of a dead hdd. The rattle is caused by a broken head or platter, the click is a different reason. Either way it's dead as far as i know.
Might be able to run WD diagnosic program to see what could be causing it.

Solution