Hooking up a linksys wireless router to a asus laptop

E86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hello,
I have a ASUS A53U laptop and i've trying to get a wireless connection on it with a Linksys WRT120 N. everytime i hook it up the it shows it doesn't connect and the desktop that its hooked up to also loses connection from the modem. i've even tried to hook it up the way my last router was hooked up which was a belkin router. the intial problem was that i stopped getting internet all of sudden with it, so i bought a new router to see if that was the problem and that wasn't it. there must be a problem with the desktop or the modem possibly. i need a little help with this cause i'm at the point where i'm clueless now.

Need to back up a bit. You are talking about no internet at the router at the same time as the laptop issue.

When the router is on, no laptop is connected, do you get internet on the desktop?

How is everything hooked up? You said desktop loses connection from the modem, is the computer connected to the modem or to the router? If to the modem, where is the router connected to? What port is being used?

The way to connect things is Modem > Router WAN port > PC to an ethernet port on the router and wireless on the laptop. Does the laptop work OK if you use a cable with it?

E86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
the internet works fine when the desktop is connected to the modem only, but when i hook up the wireless router the internet gets disconnected from the desktop somehow. it worked fine when i had my old router hooked up on it, but i wasn't getting wireless internet to my laptop at the time.

at first i took the ethernet port out of the desktop and connected it to the router which is how the instructions said, but that wasn't the way i had my other router connected. then i tried to leave the ethernet port into the desktop and connected the other end to the router and WAN port connected to the modem and the router which is the way my other one worked.

i also tried plugging the ethernet port from the desktop and hooking it to my laptop and the internet still doesn't work, so i'm very confused. says something about local area connection.

yote88

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I have had experience working with wrt120Ns and the firmware they come with needs upgrade to fix issues that can make connectivity as issue. See this post: http://www.computing-tips.net/blog/2011/11/25/update-firmware-on-your-linksys-wrt120n-router/

The only way this will work is the way I diagrammed it in my earlier post. Modem to Router WAN port, PC and laptop setup on the Router.

You may need to do a reset on the Modem and the Router for it to see the connections. Check with your ISP support if a simple power cycle on the Model and Router does not help.

You'd be able to connect to the Router's setup page even with no internet, get into that and check the WAN port settings for IP/DNS/Gateway, they should be filled in with info from the Modem that came from the ISP.

E86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
ok i have got my router to work and the internet on the desktop is working now, but i can't seem to get the internet to work on the laptop still and the wireless connection is on.

E86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
No it doesn't get that far, an error message shows up and tells me to check all the ports to see if they are hooked up correctly and everything is right.