Hooking up whole house ethernet via gateway hub

rossvesq

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
There is a similar thread on this topic from Dec 2017 but it won't help me because my network panel is different. I have a home built in 2002 with ethernet jacks in most rooms, but only the one in my office is activated. The residential gateway hub box says "Technology by Greyfox", model no. states "rated 24EA E177414 F7503". Manufactured December 2001. There is a link below to photos I took and are posted in DropBox. Currently I have a Motorola modem plugged into the ethernet jack in my office, then I am running the output line to an Apple wireless router with three ethernet output jacks. One of the output jacks is used to connect to my computer, one for the garage door wireless router, and one for a wireless router for a number of security cameras. I would like to utilize the ethernet jacks in the various bedrooms, basement, etc. I "think" I understand what needs to be done and if I understand correctly I would need to move the modem from the office down to the basement next to the gateway hub, figure out which cable line runs up to my office, connect that cable line to the modem input, and then connect the modem output to some port in the gateway hub that feeds all of the wires that are marked for the various rooms - is that correct? If so, okay, I get the concept.
But how the heck do I figure out (a) which cable line feeds the internet to my office, and (b) which port do I connect the modem output to in order to feed all of the ethernet cables. Also, I have some other questions, namely:
My wife has a separate wireless modem her company supplied her to use at home - I assume once I get the ethernet jack working in her office I can just connect her wireless router to the jack in her office. Will it interfere with my Apple wireless router in my office?
Do I need a special modem or will my Motorola modem work fine down in the basement connected to the gateway hub (I assume it will work, but who knows?)
Thanks in advance, this has been a struggle. My only other option is to call Comcast and have them come out and figure out the spaghetti in my box.
Ross

Here is the link to the DropBox photos. https://www.dropbox.com/home/Gateway%20Hub%20at%20Home.

Solution
I have a similar system in my home.
Important Warning ... All the plugs in your box are RJ45. If you have phone service (including DSL) and you take a plug that has telcom line voltage and put it into a computer, router, etc it will likely damage your equipment.
which cable line feeds the internet to my office
A line finder/tracer is the easiest way to find which cable feeds which plug. They are pretty easy to use. Once you know, label it .. they all look the same.
which port do I connect the modem output to in order to feed all of the ethernet cables
Same as above. Once you get Ethernet back to the box you will need a hub or switch to distribute the Ethernet to other ports. The module in the middle might be a hub and it...
It looks impressive (it we were in 1990)... It seems pure telecom setup for me, without a hint of Ethernet.

Where do blue and white cables from the bottom shelf go? What is connected to the back of the F1355 panel on the back?

And last but not least - is anything of this still in use? Phone sets through the house? Residential phone service?

I have a similar system in my home.
Important Warning ... All the plugs in your box are RJ45. If you have phone service (including DSL) and you take a plug that has telcom line voltage and put it into a computer, router, etc it will likely damage your equipment.
which cable line feeds the internet to my office
A line finder/tracer is the easiest way to find which cable feeds which plug. They are pretty easy to use. Once you know, label it .. they all look the same.
which port do I connect the modem output to in order to feed all of the ethernet cables
Same as above. Once you get Ethernet back to the box you will need a hub or switch to distribute the Ethernet to other ports. The module in the middle might be a hub and it might not. It looks like it might be powered. If it was made in 2001 then it's speed is likely limited.
Do I need a special modem or will my Motorola modem work fine down in the basement connected to the gateway hub
Your modem should work fine in the basement. If it is a router/modem (multiple LAN outputs) then you can use it to distribute Ethernet to your 2 wireless routers. This will create a router behind router situation which works, but has limitations (you are creating 2 separate networks that won't talk to each other ... if you are just using the internet it will work fine).

Solution
It effect you are going to put that in the trash can. That appears to be all telephone wiring but it appears to use cat5 cable which means you can convert it to ethernet.

I would buy a small rj45 patch panel and move the wires going to the remote rooms to it. The spacing on the inserts are pretty standard, you might be able to mount the new one in place of one of the current ones. You would need to replace the phone jacks in all the rooms with rj45.

Now you could leave the router where it is and hook a lan port to the wall jack in that room. You would then place a small switch in the central cabinet and connect all the rooms too it. If you connect them all then technically you do not have to locate them. You can use the switch to find them, the lights on the switch will go on when you plug something in so you can tell.

It may seem strange but you still have modem/route------in wall cable----switch----all the rest of the house.