Question Hopefully an easy taskbar question

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Usually, if I have a game running, it's 'full screen', which I like, no taskbar at the bottom; but if I alt-tab to a browser, it usually put the task bar at the bottom, which I like. It's how I can do something like use the box to run another program or look at the clock.

But now, the browser has whatever game screens are running at the bottom where the taskbar would go. I have to close every game or move it to a window until none are shown for the taskbar to finally be shown at the bottom. Any idea how to have the taskbar shown over games when the browser is on screen, but not when games are, again?

Ralston18

Titan
If I follow correctly you are asking about transparency.

I found quite of a number of links with an initial search using "taskbar transparent".

Example link FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-taskbar-transparency-windows-10-4777150

Read the link and if necessary do another google search using what you deem to be the applicable search words and phrasing.

Do avoid solutions using/requiring Registry editing. Those should be a very last resort. And only after a full backup of both system and registry.

Be cautious about 3rd party apps as well. Stay with Microsoft store listings.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Thanks, but that's sort of the opposite of what I want. I'm not expecting the solution to require any third party software, but just something basic - like the way alt-enter can maximize a window. I did search some and found an article to make sure Windows had the taskbar set to show up, and they were already set.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006

Ralston18

Titan
Task Bar has an "always on top" setting/configuration.

What you need as I sort of understand the requirement is a conditional:

"how to have the taskbar shown over games when the browser is on screen, but not when games are"

Likely doable in some script but may be quite cumbersome.

In the "Type here to search box" type "Taskbar" to access the Taskbar settings. You may have already done so.

However, take another look at the options and you may find some simpler solution. Maybe in combination with WIN +T.....

Or Task View (two desktops)...

Do you use two monitors (Multiple displays)?

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Usually, if I have a game running, it's 'full screen', which I like, no taskbar at the bottom; but if I alt-tab to a browser, it usually put the task bar at the bottom, which I like. It's how I can do something like use the box to run another program or look at the clock.

But now, the browser has whatever game screens are running at the bottom where the taskbar would go. I have to close every game or move it to a window until none are shown for the taskbar to finally be shown at the bottom. Any idea how to have the taskbar shown over games when the browser is on screen, but not when games are, again?

I am a little bit unsure on what you are asking. But I do know that when I updated my windows to the latest version. I had alot of bugs with the taskbar. You can try this method and see if it fixes the annoyance you are facing... Open task manager, (you may need to click on "More details" at the bottom left) make sure you are in the "Processes" tab. Scroll down until you see the "Windows Explorer" process, It should be Under the 'Windows processes' column. Right click on it and click restart.
this fixes most taskbar issues, and since i dont really understand what your issue is, this is the best fix I could provide you. Trying this is definately worth a shot.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I don't see the 'always on top', but there's a 'lock taskbar' set to on. I use one monitor.

I like the restart windows processes suggestion, but it didn't change it. But here's the funny thing - later it actually is working right now. We'll see.