[SOLVED] Hoping someone can confirm my diagnosis

Nov 30, 2019
Hey guys,

I just recently completed my first ever build, everything was new save for the GPU (a Sapphire Nitro R9 380X that I was planning on upgrading in the near future). Put it all together on Thursday and it worked a treat - super chuffed as I've never done it before.

Anyway, fast forward to last night and I'm playing Outerworlds and the game suddenly closes and takes me back to desktop with no error message. Okay, I think, that's odd but it's late now anyway I'll have a think tomorrow. Put on youtube to jump into bed and nope, get huge artifacts on the screen, a big consistent pattern running across the entirety of the screen with pixelated blobs in neon green and some other colours. I boot down and go to bed. Attempt to boot this morning and now both displays just just 'no signal'. I'm assuming this is a GPU fault because of lack of display output, and because rest of system seems to be running along fine, so I take out my GPU and slot in a really old card (my first one from like 10 years ago!!) that I happen to still have lying around and hey presto, I get to desktop no issue.

So, as far as my limited knowledge goes - my GPU is goosed and I need a new one; that's fine, I was planning on upgrading soonish anyway, although disappointing because I was going to try and recoup a little bit of cash on selling the old one. I guess I'm just wondering if that's all and there's nothing more sinister at play here? I literally JUST built this machine so I'm worried that I did a bad job.

Is there anything I should/could look for by running the desktop again with the crappy temp GPU I have in there so I don't crash the new one when it comes, or is it really just a coincidence that my old card of 4 years has decided to die a death one and a half days after I put it into a brand new rig?

Appreciate any and all thoughts on this!

Solution
Could you post your system components, so we have a better understanding of your system.
Have you check the system temps?
You could download and run HWMonitor...get the zip version.
Nov 30, 2019
Sorry Jojesa, should have included those. The rest of the system is R5 3600X (stock cooler), Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x8gb 3200 cl16, adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD. 2 other SATA SSDs connected, one is Samsung Evo (can't remember exact specs) at 128gb, and (I think) Kingston at 256gb? There are three system fans; two 140mm intakes on front and one 120mm outtake at back. I think that's everything of note. Thanks again.

EDIT: To clarify, the M.2 is the boot drive.

EDIT 2: Ahh forgot PSU: EVGA 650 80+ Gold

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019
Okay so I put in the old (working) GPU I had lying around, booted up to desktop and uninstalled all graphics drivers, including the AMD software. I then shut down, took out the old GPU, then put back in the R9 380x and booted up - still got blank screen/no input. I'm not sure how I would go about trying your second idea of using AMD drivers only by manually updating GPU drivers from Device Manager, as I can't access the computer with the bust GPU, and my mobo/CPU doesn't have dedicated graphics. Are you suggesting I try and install the R9 380x drivers while I have the old working GPU installed?

Again, going back to your first comment about checking temperatures - I'm not sure how I would do that when the computer is not useable with the problematic GPU installed.

Thanks again for the comments so far!