Question Horizontal HTPC Case

mircea.anton99

Commendable
Jan 30, 2018
So i plan to build my "workstation" PC inside a horizontal case. My concern is with airflow. The shelf I will put it in is 50cm wide and 20cm tall. I was looking at the Silverstone GD08 case which is 44cm wide, and it has lateral fans. Are 3cm on each side sufficient for proper airflow? The components will be a 12 core cpu (the new ryzen) and probably a 2060 or a navi if it brings better value. I'd like a case with front to back airflow, but i haven't found any that isn't supposed to be rack mounted. Ideally, I'd have a case with 3x140mm fans in front and a pair of 80mm or 120mm at the back. Any suggestions?

Side note: another idea i had was to mount fans in the shelf itself at the back to promote airflow for the case. The lateral fans will be intake and the shelf fans will pull air in.

Ralston18

Titan
Product link:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=331#undefined3

Product User Manual:

https://www.silverstonetek.com.tw/downloads/Manual/case/Multi-GD08-Manual.pdf

I scanned through the manual and did not note any specific "installation" recommendations with respect to the host location/shelf sizing and surrounding clearances. Lots of fine print.....

The manual does include considerable information regarding component sizing and limitations. Plus fans and cooling.

Overall, if the space is too tight, then air flow will be disrupted and insufficient.

I found the following in the FAQ's.

"Please use the adapter cable as a replacement for the display output adaptor. The cable can be bent in any direction to ensure that the GD08 fits comfortably inside your home theater cabinet."

Note: "fits comfortably inside....".

I recommend contacting Silverstone for a definition or specification with regards to "fits comfortably".

Quantify the clearance requirements.

Latios

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
the Silverstone GD09B is a good possibility, has 3x 120mm fan mounts built in with filters and can support a full sized ATX motherboard, PSU and a graphics card...

not sure about liquid cooling loops though..

mircea.anton99

Commendable
Jan 30, 2018
the Silverstone GD09B is a good possibility, has 3x 120mm fan mounts built in with filters and can support a full sized ATX motherboard, PSU and a graphics card...

not sure about liquid cooling loops though..
It has the fans on the sides so that is definitely a no-no since there will be like 3 cm at most on each side

mircea.anton99

Commendable
Jan 30, 2018
Does the case need to be designed horizontally for aesthetics? If not, there are many vertical choices that you can lay on the side and add some cheap felt feet.
At least in my local shops, i failed to find any regular tower that have 3x 120mm fans in the front all while being under 20cm thick. Anything thicker than 20cm and taller than 50 wont fit