[SOLVED] Horizontal lines only on monitors connected via displayport

ASaltyBunion

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
So for the past couple of months now I've been getting sporadic black horizontal lines and sometimes just no image on two of my monitors. They are both connected with displayport to vga cables, and my other is connected with just hdmi. At first I thought it was just an adapter issue, and so I purchased more. The issue seemed to go away but eventually came back. I tried wiggling the cables around and in certain positions the black lines completely go away, but any sort of movement causes them to come back. I rma'd my graphics card because I thought that might be the issue. MSI sent me a new card, but that didn't solve the issue. I've tried putting the gpu into the other pcie slot on my motherboard, but nothing appears on any of the display outputs when I do (I have an Asus x470 prime pro). I read somewhere that turning off fast boot solved the issue for someone, and that has yet to change anything. I also don't have any power saving options turned on (both sleep and hibernation are turned off). At this point I'm lost as to what the issue could be.

Solution
Hi ASaltyBunion.

You actually found the issue yourself.

"I tried wiggling the cables around and in certain positions the black lines completely go away"

If you wiggle the cables around and the lines disappear it's the cable. Depending of it's position it's ok or not. It's a good sign that the cable is broken.

You did not add that you tried another cable in your post so I assume you didn't try it yet?
Hi ASaltyBunion.

"I tried wiggling the cables around and in certain positions the black lines completely go away"

If you wiggle the cables around and the lines disappear it's the cable. Depending of it's position it's ok or not. It's a good sign that the cable is broken.

You did not add that you tried another cable in your post so I assume you didn't try it yet?

Solution

ASaltyBunion

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Hi ASaltyBunion.

I thought I did say I tried more but I guess I didn't. I purchased 2 new adapters after the issue started and still had the issue. I also tried other vga cables but they also didn't work.