Horizontal RGB lines appearing on black screen (AMD, HP)

Feb 5, 2019
Hey,

I have an HP Pavilion 17-g121wm laptop that I recently repaired. I left it with my parents after I moved out and they did something (not sure what) to it. It wouldn't recognize the hard drive or communicate with it, and I finally got it to work after a new hard drive, SATA cable, and fresh win10 install.

It runs great, except for this graphics issue. It seems like it only happens when it's been idling a long time. I get a strange black screen where it looks like a white fog over the bottom 2/3 of the monitor, and then RGB pink/green lines run across the top. Once the login page appears, I can SEE the login page through the "fog". After a restart, it runs fine and the graphics are great. Don't see a single thing wrong. No overheating, no twitching while the PC is on or while videos or games are running.

Graphics are really out of my jurisdiction, so all I've done is install the AMD Adrenaline driver manager and install new drivers. I believe everything is up to date. This isn't a touchscreen model by the way.

Specs:
HP Pavilion 17-g121wm
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Processor/graphics: AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G, 1800 Mhz, 2 Cores
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. F.45, 4/28/2017
8GB RAM
HP 240GB Solid State Drive

In order to get pictures I put it into sleep to try and get it to screw up, but it didn't happen.

Thanks for any help

you can try squeezing the areas at the bottoms and side of the monitor's outer frame areas, where a small micro cable that connects to the monitor is likely to be found....; if the issue clears up when you squeeze/push certain areas along the monitor's bezel area, you at least know it is connection related...