Question Horizontal 'scan lines' appearing sometimes on new monitor ?

Jan 14, 2023
Photos of issue: View: https://imgur.com/a/QKbkfu7
I apologize for the poor quality, best my phone can do, if necessary I'll try to get better ones.

These lines are over the entire monitor perfectly aligned looking like someone photoshopped a scan line effect over the screen. There is no movement, or flickering they are perfectly static.

So full details here, monitor is ASUS VA24DQ. It is a 23.8" 1080p 75Hz Freesync monitor. It is connected to an EVGA 3070 XC via the display port cable the monitor came with. Freesync is enabled in the monitor settings and Gsync is on enabled in nvidia control panel. AFAIK it's working as I've noticed games that had tearing before no longer do.

I've had it for a couple weeks now and sometimes noticed this issue but never found anyway to reproduce it all the time until a couple days ago when I loaded up The Outer Worlds and noticed it would happen when in the inventory/skills menu screen 100% of the time. I could make it stop by throwing say a notepad window and increasing its size until it covered maybe 50% of the screen and then the lines would go away. Even just opening the start menu would sometimes make it go away.

To make sure it wasn't the game itself I took a screenshot of the inventory screen and it displays just fine, until I load it into full screen where it instantly happens. I then opened the screenshot in honeyview and when at 100% it happens but if I increase or decrease the zoom to 110% or 90% the lines are gone.

In searching for the issue I found some similar posts mentioning to go from 75hz to 60hz so I tried that, I also tried swapping in an HDMI cable as well. Both had the same result. At 60hz DP/HDMI it does still happen but it's not as noticiable than at 75hz.

In all the time using this monitor it's only happened outside of the game a handful of times and even in game it only happens in the menu, not during gameplay of outer worlds or any other game I've played since getting the monitor that I've noticed.

But I want to get to the bottom of what is going on here because the monitor is still returnable and I just purchased the gpu used a month ago as well and not sure if that's still able to be returned but I'm really hoping it's not a gpu issue.

So coming here desperately hoping for any ideas or explanations as to what is going on and if there is any possible way to fix this. This is actually the third monitor I've bought in the last year and the last two both had such horrible uniformity issues with both the left and right sides of the screens practically being gradients I was overjoyed when this one came in and uniformity was just fine only to have this weird <Mod Edit> happen.

Thanks in advance for any and all help or ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 19, 2023
Hello Neok. I have the exact same problem as yours. My monitor is MSI curve G27C7, tho. I've been trying to fix this changing cables monitor etc. I have already went trough MSI local repair MRA and they didn't found the problem...I insist, they test it for another 48h and the resent me the monitor. Surprise, still happening. I really don't want to fight them and be without this working tool of mine for another 2 weeks, but I really don't know what to do. Sometimes changing the refresh rate to other number fix it, but it's not 100% success and ,wtf, is a brand new medium range monitor, should not has any problem. I understand that with dynamic image happening (movie, game) its difficult to see but in still images is really annoying. What if is getting worse with time? Sorry for the rant... anyway, really looking to know if you found a solution. Thanks

Jan 14, 2023
Hello Neok. I have the exact same problem as yours. My monitor is MSI curve G27C7, tho. I've been trying to fix this changing cables monitor etc. I have already went trough MSI local repair MRA and they didn't found the problem...I insist, they test it for another 48h and the resent me the monitor. Surprise, still happening. I really don't want to fight them and be without this working tool of mine for another 2 weeks, but I really don't know what to do. Sometimes changing the refresh rate to other number fix it, but it's not 100% success and ,wtf, is a brand new medium range monitor, should not has any problem. I understand that with dynamic image happening (movie, game) its difficult to see but in still images is really annoying. What if is getting worse with time? Sorry for the rant... anyway, really looking to know if you found a solution. Thanks

Sadly I did not and I tried basically everything I could think of. It still only happens in very rare instances so for now I'm just living with it. I've posted in every place I could think of and gotten zero answers. Return window ends soon so at this point I'm just keeping it because the two other monitors I had had their own issues that honestly were a lot worse than this. Just seems to me that all the manufacturers are using the cheapest garbage 1080p panels they can find that are prone to tons of issues. All I can think of at this point.

For me about 99.9% of the time it's not happening, just when it does it looks horrible and I've still yet to see it in any gameplay other than that one games menu so hopefully that will continue to be all it is for me. If it does get worse I'll be going through Asus warranty for sure.